Turquoise waters, glitzy all-Inclusive luxury, endless white-sand beaches, and wild nightlife are just some of the much-publicized features of this infamous holiday destination.
But if your willing to look, Gay Cancun has a small by fun LGBT scene kept alive by smoldering go-go boys, fun locals and jet-set gay travelers from all corners of the world.
If you’re looking for rainbows and unicorns, gays outnumber straights kind-of-holiday you should probably consider Fire Island, Mykonos, Bangkok or Puerto Vallarta – but for us, the appeal of Cancun is the comfortable luxury on a budget. Home to some of the most affordable resorts in the world, Cancun is filled with straight couples and families – generally the antithesis of a good gaycation.
However, the saving grace is amongst all the hundreds of hotel options there are hidden a few very gay-popular resorts. Add to this plenty of sunshine, fun day trips, cheap all-inclusive drink packages, and a somewhat gay nightlife area tucked away around Avenida Tulum in the downtown and Gay Cancun is complete.
Play your cards right, and you can land yourself in a fabulous queer oasis. Get it wrong, and you’ll be stuck in a very hetero-world.
Gay Cancun Guide: The Essential Guide To Gay Travel In Cancun Mexico 2019
In this article we will cover...
Attractions in Cancun
Naturally being gay does not define which attractions most of us will want to see in each destination and most queer travelers will simply want to check out the top things to see in Cancun during the day! We found it hard to tempt ourselves away from our poolside cabanas, mainly because of all the drinks included in our Gay Cancun all-inclusive package – but if you’re the active type, there is plenty of things to do in Cancun.
Here are just a few our favorites, most of which you can do with an easy tour direct from your resort – or rent a car and make your own adventure!
Things To Do in Cancun
- Underground River – Explore one of the most spectacular underground rivers in Mexico with crystal clear water, beautiful stalagmites and a refreshing swim to top it all off. A unique geological formation only seen in this part of the world.
- Extreme Adventure Eco Park – Sick of lazing around? Get your adrenaline pumping with an ATV experience, cenote swim, and zip-lining …And in one place.
- Whale Shark Swim – If you’re visiting Cancun in the right season you simply can’t miss swimming with this gentle giants. The Yucatan Coast is one of the only places in the world where it is possible. There is nothing else like it, trust us!
- Adult-Only Party Cruise – We are yet to find an exclusively gay cruise in Cancun, but if you don’t mind some heterosexual fun then this 7-hour cruise with DJ and open bar is a great way to get into the party mood. And chances are there will be some other gays anyway!
- Bioluminescent Night Snorkel – Want to live out your Peter Pan glitter and sparkle fantasy…except for underwater? Why not go snorkeling under the moonlight and get up close to nocturnal sea creatures including turtles and colorful fist- and all amidst a dazzling bioluminescent show from sea particles. Take a break from those late-night clubs are let the moon illuminate your path through the shallow Caribbean waters of the Great Mayan Reef!
- Parasailing – Make the most of the low prices and idyllic weather with a thrilling flight 240 feet off the group. Cancun’s white sand ribbon/hotel zone and the tranquil Caribbean have never looked so good.
- Chichen Itza – One of the wonders of the world, and easily seen on a day trip from the Cancun. The trick is to beat the crowds and get early access to actually enjoy it.
- Underwater Museum – There might not be much marine life left, but that didn’t stop these crafty Mexicans from tempting us back into the water with over 500 life-size sculptures spread out on the shallow seabed.
- Mexican Cooking Class – Sure, we can all make nachos but why not spend your holiday learning the secrets of traditional Mexican gastronomy culminating in a 7-course gourmet meal complete with tortillas you made yourself!
- Tulum Ruins – Impressive Mayan ruins set right on the ocean’s edge making then oh-so-photographic. Your guide will tell you they likely were not that important, but who cares when you get the best holiday snaps to make all your Instagram followers jealous! Best combined with a tour of Coba and any one of the mysterious cenotes open to the public.
- Gay Pride Cancun – Since no-one really lives in Cancun, Pride here is not really as big a deal as Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta or other big cities in Mexico and the USA. Usually held annually in June, there is a small parade and normally a special event in the gay clubs – but Gay Pride in Cancun is not worth planning a trip around.
Gay Beaches in Cancun
- Playa Delfines – The main gay beach in Cancun, even if it is not officially designated as such. At the far south end of the Cancun Hotel Zone, don’t expect anything too crazy like gay beaches of Montpellier or Honolulu, but it’s beautiful and remote with a large beach area and no hotels…yet. Best to take a car there but you can also use the bus. The Cancun gay beach is never crowded as most gay life in Cancun is in the resorts, but it is a lovely patch of sand either way.
- Playa Chic Mool – Less well-known but more popular due to its location near the Cancun Clubs. Gay-popular but there isn’t really anywhere for privacy.
- Temptation Resort – Not a gay beach in Cancun, but a gay-popular adults-only resort with sexy swimming pool games and topless-optional throughout. Plus, if you choose to stay here your room is only steps away. Sadly there are no clothing-options resorts in Cancun, nor any nude beaches in Cancun. For these, you will need to head south to Hidden Beach in Kantenah or the Posada Margherita in Tulum.
Gay-friendly / Gay Accommodation in Cancun Mexico
Cancun is one of the biggest vacation destinations on the planet, and pretty much every hotel and resort in Cancun can be considered open and welcome to LGBT travelers. – after all being gay-friendly is not all about upscale luxury, but about providing friendly service and welcoming guests without prejudice!
However, everybody likes to be surrounded by people with common interests and as such there are a few hotels in Cancun favored by the gay jet-set. Most are centrally located in the Hotel Zone or the downtown close to the Cancun gay nightlife, and each offers something unique and special to make it worthy of your consideration.
The following gay-friendly hotels in Cancun are only the most popular with gay, but there are hundreds of other hotels in Cancun if you don’t find quite what you are looking for. Location here is everything so take a look at our gay map of Cancun at the end of this guide to make sure you are where you need to be. Whether you want a fun and social hostel, a cheap place to crash after a night of partying or a chic designer option to sip cocktails poolside and surround yourself with fabulous people – Gay Cancun has something for everyone!
Gay-Friendly Resorts In Cancun
- JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa ☆☆☆☆☆ – An extremely gay-popular resort in Cancun with eight restaurants, 2 bars, three outdoor pools and a sauna…Just to name a few things. We love the Marriot thanks to its LGBT inclusive policies worldwide, and this exclusive designer hotel is no exception. Expect refined elegance and a relaxing stay you’re never going to forget. The JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa is also one of the most popular gay Cancun all-inclusive resorts, because who doesn’t love unlimited drinks!
- Nizuc Resort and Spa ☆☆☆☆☆ – One of the most luxurious resorts in the world, this all-suites, all-inclusive stay leaves you wanting for absolutely nothing. An elegant stay infused with Mexican spirit, we loved the secluded beach location, lavish amenities, and boutique hotel feel. It’s not a gay hotel in Cancun, but sometimes you just need to stop chasing tail and take some decadent ‘me time’ Your worth it!
- Secrets The Vine Cancun All Inclusive ☆☆☆☆☆ – A modern, high-rise resort with opulent views over the glistening Caribbean. Seriously, the high-level rooms have some of the best views in Cancun and are partly why this is one of the top-rated hotels in all of Mexico. Redefining elegance with chic sophistication and all the luxury amenities you could dream of, we are just in love with this adults-only paradise.
- Grand Oasis Sens ☆☆☆☆ – With so many LGBT travelers opting to stay here it might as well be named the most popular gay resort in Cancun. Adults only, all-inclusive with a slightly cruisy atmosphere, especially in the onsite Kinky nightclub and gym. Their all-inclusive package is one of the most affordable in Cancun with 12 restaurants, delicious food, young crowds and plenty of party time!
- Temptation Resort Spa ☆☆☆☆ – A gay-popular resort that knows it is all about the party! Mixing club vibes with luxury touches, completed by themed pools, six bars, and seven hot tubs. A playground of temptations, we left more than satisfied… if not a bit exhausted.
- Sun Palace ☆☆☆☆ – Chic and airy rooms with a couples only policy, this Gay Cancun resort has multiple infinity pools, a luxurious spa, and sunloungers beachside. Plenty of gay guests and fun to be had – all without children running around ruining everything.
- Golden Parnassus Resort ☆☆☆☆ – Another extremely gay resort in Cancun, but by no means exclusive. The Golden Parnassus is slightly dated but offers excellent value for money, a fun ocean-side pool, and fun nightlife.
Gay-Friendly / Gay Hotel In Cancun
- Four Points by Sheraton Cancun Centro ☆☆☆☆ – the best option for those wanting a gay hotel in Cancun without resort amenities. The Sheraton is well-known for its LGBT-friendly policies globally, and we love here how accessible the gay nightlife scene is (its an annoying taxi trip from the Cancun Hotel Zone every time otherwise).
- Suites Malecon Cancun ☆☆☆☆ – A chic apart-hotel on the mainland for those more interested in the gay nightlife. Perfect for hosting guests, relaxing and exploring. We also liked infinity pool, gym and sun terrace.
- Aloft Cancun ☆☆☆☆ – A gay-popular international hotel at the beginning of the Cancun Hotel Zone with colorful rooms, trendy pool, and fun rooftop pools. The beach is only a 3-minute walk away, and there is complimentary parking if you’re hiring a car. The perfect solution if you plan on getting out and exploring the Yucatan every day and won’t need all the resort amenities.
- Eco Hotel El Rey del Caribe ☆☆☆ – A small gay-popular hotel with a tropical garden and eco-credentials. Close to all the gay nightlife on Avenida Tulum, with a hot tub, outdoor pool, and free airport transfers. Cheap, chic – if you just want to party and are not fussed about a beachfront resort this is the place to go!
- Cancun International Suites ☆☆☆ – A small, gay-popular hotel close to gay nightlife in Cancun. We are not entirely in love, but it has off-street parking if your planning on hiring a car, daily breakfast and a small sun terrace. Cancun International Suites has some of the cheapest private rooms in Cancun in a quiet neighborhood walking distance to the ADO bus station.
- Mayan Monkey Hostel ☆☆☆ – One of our favorite hostels in the world, this urban resort is perfect for those traveling solo, looking to make friends who want to go out and party or if you are looking to stretch your pesos. Daily breakfast, outdoor pool, bar terrace and plenty of sexy backpackers…
Gay Nightlife in Cancun
Like Cancun – and the rest of the world – most of the nightlife here is oriented towards straight people, but luckily there are a few fun and vibrant gay nightlife spots in Cancun.
Expect plenty of sexy strippers, affordable drinks and all-night dancing to held tempt you away from your resort. This is one of Mexico’s most desirable and expensive locations, however – and will cost you more than your typical gay beach holiday in Phuket or nearby Puerto Vallarta. it’s still cheaper than Mykonos however…
Depending on your mood you can find anything here from a relaxed margarita in an upscale bar to a euphoria-inducing rave surrounded by your queer family! Most bars and clubs are packed from midnight until into the early morning, with a mix of tourists and a few locals. Just stay safe, leave any valuables at home and catch ride-shares or taxis between your accommodation and different venues late at night.
Gay Bars & Clubs in Cancun
- Laser Hot Bar – previously known as Picante this is the oldest gay bar in Cancun which celebrates Pride every night of the year. One of the cheapest places to drink in town with strippers, drag shows and a mixed bag of clientele. Occasionally you find local gay-for-pay boys here but mainly just your typical fun and friendly gay bar to party the night away in.
- Sentimientos Bar – A cute little neighborhood gay bar popular with locals. Shows most nights of the week, low prices and friendly vibes.
- Jungle Room – Previously Sexy’s Bar. Hosting wild parties most nights of the week, they are not kidding when they say this is where animals come to play. Go-go boy and crazy, crazy shows.
- 11:11 | OnceOnce – The best gay club in Cancun with sexy go-go boys, twin electronic and Latin rhythm dance floors. They keep their Facebook page up-to-date with weekly events and all the most prominent gay parties in Cancun. There are also fun drag shows and a mix of young locals and tourists.
Gay clubs in Cancun which have closed or rebranded are Karamba Bar, Regina Club, La Rinconera and Sexy’s Club.
Gay-Friendly Venues in Cancun Mexico
- Coco Bongo – A famous gay-popular nightclub with elaborate shows and a wild atmosphere. Gets more dancey after the show. Coco Bongo also has locations in Punta Cana and Playa Del Carmen. Think Las Vegas nightclub meets Paris Burlesque – except with lower prices.
- The City Discotheque – Not a gay bar but one of the biggest nightclub in Latin America (the biggest gay nightclub in Latin America is Bogota FYI). Only open on Fridays, this is an energetic club for the young and beautiful. If your less interested in a hook-up and just want to party with friends – gay and straight – this is a fun option!
- Kinky Nightclub @ Grand Oasis Sens – Fun cabaret shows and an erotic atmosphere at this fun nightclub, part of one of most affordable gay Cancun all-inclusive resorts.
- Casa Tequila – Our choice for the best margaritas in Cancun complete with fun cantina vibes, tequila tasting, and mariachis. By no means an authentic Mexican bar, but for that, you have to leave Cancun and head to places inland like Puebla, Leon or Queretaro.
- La Vaquita – Again, not a gay bar in Cancun but how could we resist a crazy cow themed nightclub…we are only human after all! Cheap, cliched, no-holds-barred fun. A bit like Cancun in general.
Cruising & Gay Saunas in Cancun
Had enough of gay cruising in Cancun – either in the bars or elsewhere? For those who want a bit more guaranteed action, there is now only one gay sauna in Cancun but it can get pretty busy. If you’re getting restless in the Cancun hotel zone we recommend using a hook-up app, though at times the Plaza Las Americas Mall can feel like its almost entirely cruising muscle boys.
There is also the unofficial gay beach in Cancun. No matter what you do, always stay safe. Leave all valuables in your hotel safe and be extremely cautious before going to any locals house. Better to host at your hotel or visit the gay Cancun sauna.
- X-Mahan-Nah – The only gay sauna in Cancun inconveniently located in the downtown – take a taxi or ride-share app. More local popular but guys here are friendly and you will be welcomed. Facilities include a sauna, dark room, XXX lounge, showers, jacuzzi, and lockers. Open daily from 4 – 10 pm.
- Ciber Coffee Arcoiris – A gay Internet cafe in Cancun with private booths. For discreet action with gay men in Cancun.
- Energy Gym – Not a gay gym but it’s popular with many of the Cancun go-go boys and the muscle boys who frequent the Plaza Las Americas Mall next-door. With a steam room and sauna, you never know what will happen.
Gay sauna or not, in any sexual encounter, please take adequate precautions. No matter what your intentions are in Gay Cancun, you should bring your own condoms and lube to play it safe. Take home a hot guy or a hot memory, not an STD.
Besides, you never know what other fun surprises your trip might have in store for you…