Made famous in the 1970s by Jackie Onassis and Grace Kelly, us homos have been flocking to Gay Mykonos -that infamous Greek Island in the Aegean Sea – ever since. And it’s easy to see why!
Tempting beaches, the desirable Mediterranean climate, luxurious white-washed hotels and the legendary gay nightlife that does from sunset to sunrise makes Mykonos an en vogue travel destination for queers wanting to relax in style and escape it all.
Much like Fire Island, San Francisco, Bangkok or Ibiza, Gay Mykonos is one of the world’s most infamous epicenters of gay culture, nightlife and hedonism. A fabulous gay playground where it often feels gays outnumber straights – and we actually do during the XlSIOR Mykonos International Summer Gay Festival – in Mykonos anything can, and does, happen!
A paradise awash with sophistication, glamour, and mesmerizing beauty – both scenic and carnal – it’s no wonder that rainbow flag’s fill the streets here.
While Greece is mostly still a strongly Orthodox Christian country, Mykonos has changed its tune thanks to us big-spending gays and lesbians with our wit, charm, and abundance of pink euros. As a result, today most of the Mykonos’s accommodation can now be considered gay-friendly, and locals are generally very open-minded and welcoming.
Gay travelers are highly unlikely to find any trouble here and should not be at all concerned. A legendary gay island like no other, today Gay Mykonos’s still attracts thousands of queers travelers every year looking for sun, sea, sand, and sex!
Gay Mykonos Guide: The Essential Guide To LGBT Travel In Mykonos Greece
In this article we will cover...
- Gay Mykonos Guide: The Essential Guide To LGBT Travel In Mykonos Greece
- Attractions in Mykonos
- Gay Beach in Mykonos Greece
- XlSIOR Mykonos International Summer Gay Festival
- Gay-friendly and Gay Hotels in Mykonos Greece
- Gay Bars and Gay Clubs in Mykonos
- Cruising & Gay Saunas in Mykonos
- Gay Mykonos Map
Attractions in Mykonos
Naturally being gay does not define which attractions most of us will want to see in each destination and most queer travelers will simply want to check out the top things to see in Mykonos during the day!
We found our favorite memories were watching the sunset from a relaxing cocktail bar, dancing till dawn with our queer family, or laying on any of Mykonos gay beaches – but if you’re someone who can’t relax we have put together a few other things to do in Mykonos to keep you busy!
- The Windmills (Katom Milli) – A slice of history and icons of the Mykonos. A pleasant walk from Little Venice and beautiful at sunset – most have been converted to shops or accommodation now.
- Archaeological site of Delos – Small but very popular ruins, known as the birthplace of Apollo, god of music. You can pay your respects here or late at night in the clubs.
- Little Venice – Cafes and restaurants aplenty in this photogenic area known for its seafood and the pelicans that hang about here.
- Church of Paraportiani – One of the most beautiful buildings to see in Mykonos, this Greek Orthodox church is typically unassuming and painted bright white with a domed roof. It’s also the local cruising spot weirdly enough.
- Matoyianni Street – A picturesque winding street where you can find designer clothes, art galleries and plenty of trinkets.
- The ES Collection – Forgot your best underwear at home or need something to show off to the boys? Find the sexiest swimwear & most popular gay underwear brands on Mykonos at this boutique store.
- Sailing Cruise – Escape the crowded beaches and head out on a luxury super-sailing yacht for a fun day of included drinks, food and a view of Mykonos you won’t get on land. A must-do while in Mykonos to visit the archaeological site of Delos, the ancient city with the magnificent statues that today is uninhabited. Explore the magical coves and beaches of Rhenia island and Delos and dive from the yacht to crystal clear turquoise waters. During the 7 hours sailing you will have the chance to learn the basic skills of sailing, sail the boat, or simply enjoy the sun on the deck. At noon, enjoy a home made lunch on board and get ready for a guided tour in Delos island and its archaeological site.
- Explore hidden Mykonos – Hire your own car or head out on a full-day jeep safari to explore the island’s secret corners, beautiful beaches, and rural villages
Gay Beach in Mykonos Greece
In Mykonos, you’re spoilt for choice when it comes to beaches and bays. From little more than barren strips of sand to those with seas of sunbathers with all the expected amenities, you will find pretty much all beaches in Mykonos are packed during the high season of July and August, but things quieten down again in September.
Buses head out to the most famous beaches in Mykonos around 9-10 pm, but if you want to visit the northern beaches where the public buses don’t reach you might want to consider hiring a car in Mykonos. Super Paradise and Elia are at the center of Mykonos gay beach scene, but there are also a few other options if you prefer something quieter.
- Elia Beach – A popular gay beach in Mykonos that is clothing optional. Beautiful and relaxing with a long, wide beach and only a few restaurants and bars.
- Agrari Beach – 5 minutes walk on from Elia Beach is this secluded gay beach in Mykonos, with smaller crowds and away from prying eyes.
- Super Paradise Beach – Previously the most famous gay beach in Mykonos before Elia stole its crown. Today the newly opened gay Jackie O’ Beach Club with pool overlooking the sea is making this the ‘IT’ Mykonos gay beach again. While the gay/nude beach is rather small, there is beautiful sand, dazzling turquoise waters and sexy men sporting speedos, or less.
- Paranga Beach – A beautiful sandy beach close to the more touristy Platis Yialos Beach. A small gay and mixed crowd nude beach popular for its skinny dipping and fun cruising area in the rocky part.
XlSIOR Mykonos International Summer Gay Festival
Forget everything you have heard; this is the worldwide benchmark in gay festivals! Held annually in the last two weeks of August when over 30,000 gays flock to Mykonos to be connected by the universal language of music at this heaven on Earth party.
A spectacular week-long experience of open air and outdoor parties, international DJ’s, hot-as-fuck crowds and a hedonistic no-boundaries atmosphere. The complete gay holiday experience, the XlSIOR Mykonos International Summer Gay Festival is worth planning a trip to Mykonos on its own for – but of course, if this is not your scene you should avoid these dates as hotel’s sell out months in advance, and prices surge!
Gay-friendly and Gay Hotels in Mykonos Greece
As a world leader in LGBT tourism, there are plenty of hotels in Mykonos catering for every type of traveler – and it would be unheard of for any hotel or guesthouse to have an issue with a gay couple checking it.
Still, everyone likes to be surrounded by like-minded people, and as such a few hotels in Mykonos have cropped up as *the* place for gay travelers to stay! Primarily clustered around the Mykonos Old Town – with its gay nightlife – you can get to a lot of places on the island cheaply and efficiently using public transport, or you could explore with a car.
The following hotels in Gay Mykonos have all received glowing recommendation from gay travelers in the past, but of course, there are hundreds of other hotels all over Mykonos if these are not quite what you are looking for. Prices are high in peak season, and the adage is true. You really do get what you pay for here, and those iconic Mykonos balcony views and roof-top pools don’t come cheap.
Whether you want a fun and social hostel, a cheap place to crash after a night of partying or a chic designer option to sip cocktails by the ocean surrounded by fabulous people – Gay Mykonos has something for everyone!
Gay Hotels In Mykonos
- Elysium Hotel ☆☆☆☆☆ – What can we say? The best gay hotel in Mykonos, and right in the heart of everything. Spacious with a poolside bar, plenty of events and hot guys walking around in speeds. We wouldn’t want to stay anywhere else, but if it’s not a good fit, you can always visit the bar for sunset and stay somewhere quieter.
- Geranium Hotel ☆☆☆ – A exclusively gay hotel offering privacy and a chance to hang out with other gay travelers on their swimming pool with a large sun terrace. White-washed and elegant; however, it’s a bit far from the action and could do with more attention paid to small details.
Gay-Friendly Luxury Hotels in Mykonos
Oniro Mykonos ☆☆☆☆☆ – Perched on the spectacular cliff of Agios Stefanos, overseeing the cobalt Aegean Sea and white gentle waves, Oniro Mykonos is a fabulously gay-friendly 5* luxury boutique hotel, designed with charm and magnetism to appeal to the most eclectic lifestyle island traveler. Reflecting authentic Cycladic architecture tracing fingerprints of Greek history, the hotel offers 29 luxurious rooms and suites, showcasing a contemporary blend of elegance and refined luxury. Combining nature’s offerings with genuinely warm and caring service, travelers arrive as guests, leave as friends and return as family. Decorated in traditional style from indoor to poolside, the onsite restaurants offer a sheer diversity to satisfy any taste – driven by a passion for exceptional culinary excellence. A relaxed atmosphere awaits the guests by the pool lounge and bar collection. With a cocktail in hand, one will enjoy the impressive views over the sea and old town.
- Mykonos Grand Hotel & Resort ☆☆☆☆☆ – One of the most luxurious properties in Mykonos set on Agios Ioannis Beach, this upscale resort has airy, minimalist rooms, rainfall showers and suites with private infinity pools. 2 restaurants (1 poolside) and three trendy bars plus a private beach and more amenities than we can list.
- Nissaki Boutique Hotel ☆☆☆☆☆ – This is what Greek dreams are made of! A picturesque white-washed luxury beach hotel surrounded by the golden sun and crystal blue water – and the obligatory infinity pool and spacious rooms with Aegean Sea views, it doesn’t get much better than this.
- Kouros Hotel & Suites ☆☆☆☆☆ – Seafront in Mykonos town, you get the best of everything with fantastic views and nightlife right on your door-step. Decorated in whites and deep blues we were left gagging by their designer airy rooms and suites.
- Little Rochari ☆☆☆☆ – Located on the hills above scenic Mykonos, a short walk to everything and you are rewarded with lower prices, a pool with sun terrace and balcony views over the Aegean Sea and Old town.
- Harmony Boutique Hotel ☆☆☆☆ – One of the few year-round Mykonos hotels with spacious rooms – most with balconies -, a fabulous rooftop terrace and pool with wrap-around views.
Gay-Friendly Accommodation in Mykonos
- Hotel Adonis ☆☆☆ – A cute and affordable stay in the heart of Gay Mykonos. Family run but very gay-friendly with balconies, sea views and everything you could want a short walk away.
- Chill Out Studio ☆☆☆ – Normally sold out, this fabulous apartment studio in Mykonos City has the most helpful hosts, plenty of space, views and a beautiful pool to relax by!
- MyCocoon Hostel ☆☆ – The best hostel in Mykonos for gay travelers with stunning reviews, new concept interiors and just 2-minute walk away from the old harbor of Mykonos. If you on a budget or want to meet other travelers and don’t mind sharing a dorm, you need to head here!
- Paradise Beach Camping ☆ – The cheapest accommodation on Mykonos we could find, located out-of-town at the Mykonos Gay Beach. Wooden cabins and bungalows for young, like-minded people – if all you want to do is lie on the beach and party at night this is an affordable option.
Gay Bars and Gay Clubs in Mykonos
With Mykonos being one of the most gay-friendly vacation destinations in the world, you would expect an incredible gay nightlife scene – and luckily Mykonos does not disappoint!
Depending on your mood you can find anything here from a relaxed cocktail in an upscale bar to an all-night dance rave surrounded by your queer family! It’s one of Greece’s most desirable and expensive islands, however – and will cost you more than your typical gay beach holiday in Phuket, Punta Cana or Puerto Vallarta.
The Mykonos gay scene here starts to get going when people head to the bars for the magical sunset, then most bars and clubs are packed from midnight until into the early morning, with a mix of tourists and a few locals. For many gay bars in Mykonos flip-flops and tank tops are the uniforms of choice – but some more upscale clubs and venues demand more.
Still, as Coco Chanel declared “luxury equals comfort,” so don’t get too caught up as later in the night plenty of t-shirts come off!
Gay Bars in Mykonos Greece
- Babylon – An in favor gay bar in Mykonos on the waterfront close to the Paraportiani church cruising spot with nightly drag shows and summertime theme parties. One of the most beautiful places with outdoor seating on the pier – though sometimes you might get a bit of sea-spray. Music is generally house, acid jazz or ambient.
- Jackie O’s – From sunset to sunrise this trendy gay spot in Mykonos with have you sorted with two floors and a terrace overlooking the ocean. With the latest music hits and drag-tastic shows, this famous gay bar is pure hedonistic joy.
- Jackie O’ Beach Club and Restaurant – A newly opened off-shot, Jackie O’ can keep you parting 24/7 with this pumping beach club at the Super Paradise gay beach. With a large open bar, pool, and jacuzzi – plus beautiful views, it’s not hard to see why gays from all over the world flock to Mykonos.
- Montparnasse / The Piano Bar – The oldest gay bar in Mykonos, this cute little piano bar has an out-sized global reputation thanks to its lively cabaret entertainment and delicious cocktails. Your hosts ensure that visitors always leave as friends.
- Lola Bar – A trendy, buzzy spot with laid-back lounge details, some of the best cocktails on the island, and eclectic decor that matches the clientele.
- Gay Sunset Bar @ Elysium – This famous gay hotel in Mykonos is one of the best places on the island to enjoy the sunset and is a bit of a ritual. Themed nights, live Dj’s and glam cocktails – but it’s almost too trendy now with everybody competing to be the hottest gay man on the island.
- Kastro’s Mykonos – A bar and restaurant in the perfect spot for fabulous sunsets. Warm service, laid-back vibes and some of the best food on the island (try the sea bass with broccoli and coconut puree). This is Greece as you imagined it and you will likely return night after night after night.
Gay Clubs in Mykonos Greece
- At54 – A summer-only venue, this Mykonos gay club hosts glamorous parties, with plenty of hot guys in attendance. Ask anyone who has been to Gay Mykonos before and they will tell you a visit to At54 is love at first sight, the place to make new friends and party the night away.
- Porta Bar & Club – You might get lost down the narrow streets of Mykonos trying to find this place – and looking for a rainbow flag on this online does not help as everywhere has one – but when you arrive you will be home. An almost dive-bar type vibe with sexy bartenders, dance floor, and fun cocktails. Soft jazz in the early evening for conversation chancing to upbeat gay anthems after midnight when it really gets busy.
- LAKKA by Fou Club – The newest gay club in Mykonos with go-go dancers, crowded dance for and DJ sets – plus a dark room upstairs.
Cruising & Gay Saunas in Mykonos
While the gay scene here is booming, the Mykonos gay sauna scene has not developed, and your options are very limited – if this is a significant consideration for you, better to choose a different destination like Tel Aviv, Paris, Valencia or Fort Lauderdale.
While the designer gay hotel in Mykonos, Elysium, has free use of the hydro-massage room, sauna and steam room it is generally not that kind of place. Gay hook-up apps remain a favorite way of meeting, but you can try cruising in Mykonos around the Church of Paraportiani.
You can also make a trip to gay-popular Agrari and Elia beach frequented by local and foreign guys – although with gay locals you will generally be expected to host so you might want to consider your own private apartment in Mykonos.