Luxembourg, the tiny sliver of a country squashed between France, Belgium and Germany – is not only one of the world’s most wealthy countries but also one of few to have an openly gay prime minster.
A country where “people do not consider the fact of whether some is gay or not”, the capital – Luxembourg City – offers a romantic fairytale-esque setting for a gay-friendly getaway with plenty of art, culture, cafes and French charm. Much like the country, the Gay Luxembourg scene is small, easy-going, well-organised but very fun (if you know where to look).
While not as loud and proud as nearby Brussels, a trip to Gay Luxembourg is sure to include plenty of wine, days wandering art galleries or rolling forest hills and getting lost in the UNESCO listed old town – but come night you will have the option of quiet cocktails with stunning views, lively piano bars, or surprisingly good gay clubbing (if one of the frequently held events are on). While in the long, beautiful summer days it is easy to meet gay locals in the parks and restaurants , in the cloudy, cold winters you might want to turn to apps to meet a friendly local to show you around. No matter where you interests lie, Gay Luxembourg offers much more than EU bureaucrats and investment banks (though there are plenty of those here too…)
Gay Luxembourg Guide: The Essential Guide To LGBT Travel In Luxembourg City
In this article we will cover...
Attractions in Luxembourg City
Obviously being gay does not define which attraction we will want to see in each city and most queer travellers will simply want to check out the top things to see in Luxembourg City during the day!
While there are plenty of things to do in Luxembourg City, our favourite memories were wandering the valleys and cobble-stone streets of the Old Town, sipping coffee on quiet town squares checking out the boys and exploring the museums and art galleries dotting around. Gay travellers in Luxembourg City need not take any extra precautions in terms of public displays of affection here and gay travellers will have no issues exploring this beautiful and diverse city.
- Wander Historic Luxembourg – A UNESCO World Heritage listed City and one of Europe’s greatest fortified sites, be sure just to wander the quiet streets to truly get a feel for this city. Grab a map from your hotel or tourist information and design your own walking tour.
- Grand Ducal Palace – Luxembourg is the last remains Grand Duchy in the world and this stately palace still serving as the residence of Grand Duke of Luxembourg. Guided tours in summer, but it can be admired for outside year round!
- Notre-Dame Cathedral – It might not compare to Paris but this mixed Gothic, Baroque & Renaissance-style cathedral has stood here since in 1621 and is worth a look around.
- National Museum of History and Art – Housing a huge collection of fine & decorative art + archaeology & coins relics covering all epochs of Luxembourg’s history
- Madam – If history is not your thing, maybe this contemporary art museum is more your style with an exotic and varied modern art collection housed in the beautiful new building and surrounded by a park with statues.
- Chemin de la Corniche – Take a stroll along this pedestrian promenade and enjoy beautiful views back over the entire city. Casemates du Bock – Head underground and explore this bizarre complex of galleries and underground tunnels built-in 1644 and later used as WWII bomb shelters.
- Neumünster Abbey – A renovated church now playing host to many of the biggest cultural events, concerts and exhibitions in Luxembourg. Check out their website for the latest on-goings.
Gay-friendly and Gay Hotels in Luxembourg City
- Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal ☆☆☆☆☆– A designer hotel in Luxembourg’s historic centre. A grand modern glass structure of dramatic lines and curves, chic rooms with colourful decor and valley views and a trendy cocktail bar with a resident DJ. Superb views from previous guests, this gay popular offers fun, contemporary luxury with a French twist and is our favourite gay stay in Luxembourg.
- Hotel Le Place d’Armes ☆☆☆☆☆ – A boutique hotel in the heart of Old Luxembourg city serving elegant Art Deco meets French farmhouse. Fusing 7 original houses into one luxurious urban retreat, you can still find plenty of original features such as fireplaces and beamed ceilings yet perfectly matched with modern marble-floored bathroom + a trendy bar and restaurant.
- Hotel Parc Beaux Arts ☆☆☆☆ – French country-style décor mixed with medieval architectural details. We love the wooden panels, Murano lighting, beamed ceilings and fireplaces – and all in the centre of Luxembourg. This is a boutique hotel featuring warm service, luxurious suites and plenty of original art throughout.
- Hotel Parc Belair ☆☆☆☆ – A upmarket hotel in a quiet residential area just 15 minutes from the city centre. Quiet and surrounded with plenty of greenery and a public park, this hotel feels like an urban retreat. Traditional French / Italian design details complete the package.
- Légère Hotel Luxembourg ☆☆☆☆ – Affordable luxury, but only if you’re hiring a car in Luxembourg or don’t mind a commute with the bus stop 200m away. Featuring a gym and sauna, spacious rooms and glass-walled bathrooms plus complimentary shuttle service to Kirchberg and Luxembourg-Findel Airport. You won’t find this quality at this price anywhere else in Luxembourg.
- ibis Styles Luxembourg Centre Gare ☆☆☆ – The cheapest private room in Luxembourg which doesn’t have terrible rooms. The ibis is always our go-to budget hotel thanks to its good service, clean rooms and familiarity. We found this location to have the added bonus of fun, vibrant design, a 15 minute walk to the old town and it had a nice winter terrace.
- Youth Hostel Luxembourg City ☆☆ – Luxembourg is an expensive destination – but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done by a budget traveller! If you don’t mind sharing a dorm, you can stay here with a central location, rave reviews and meet other travellers to head our for a night of partying if you are travelling solo.
Gay Bars in Luxembourg City
Luxembourg is rapidly developing its nightlife scene after years where nothing opened past 9pm – though gay nightlife here has lagged behind, with only one dedicated gay bar but plenty of roaming gay club events (similar to Tel Aviv).
Being such a tolerant society you are unlikely to experience any issues with displays of affection in public and as such will be welcomed in most clubs and bars in Luxembourg – but of course many of us prefer to surround ourselves with our LGBT family on a night out so we have collected together the most popular lesbian and gay hang-out bars for you to check out.
- Bar Rouge – The only real gay bar left in Luxembourg. House music, fun vies and plenty of parties and events. Thankfully it gets very busy in here so one you arrive you won’t feel like leaving, there is really nowhere else to go! Fun and full of plenty of sexy guys and girls – perhaps start your night at one of these gay-friendly bars and work your way up!
- Banana’s – A open-minded space and a home-away-from-home in a city with so many foreigners. Queer-popular, during the day people go for the lunch specials but in the weekend’s some hardcore partying takes place here.
- Zulu Blanc – A gay-popular Zulu-themed bar with plenty of late night parties and house music. Don’t ask us about the bizarre theming, but it works – Things can get pretty wild here!
- Café des Artistes – If you’re looking for a bit of classier fun, this Luxembourg piano bar is known for having the best mix of friendly people in town. Come of the quirky decor and live piano performances of everything from folkloric Luxembourg nostalgia to international hits.
- Ikki – Under fashionable with a concept bar downstairs and restaurant upstairs. Hosting everything from DJ nights and club parties to fashion shows and stand-up comedy, this trendy bar offers a mixed crowd and nice views of Luxembourg.
- L’Observatoire @ Sofitel Grand Ducal Hotel – One of Luxembourg’s best cocktail bars and with a breathtaking view. Their designer and interstellar cocktails will complete any night, and though cocktails here are pricey – quality is high and you will never forget the view. Best for a romantic evening or meeting up with someone special.
Gay Events in Luxembourg City
Gay Luxembourg is a city that has hundreds of events on across the year, and queer travellers to Luxembourg should not restrict themselves to exclusively gay events. While July is the main month of LGBT celebrations and events for Luxembourg’s gay community revolving around the popular Luxembourg Pride event there are plenty of other gay events to look out for during the rest of the year.
Luxembourg attracts people from all over the world – so in generally people here are looking to connect and meet up with new people all the time.Head to a bars or start a conversation on any of popular hook up apps and you are almost guaranteed to hear about something somewhere and get invited. However some events should really be planned around so here are the biggest events currently on in Gay Luxembourg.
- Fairy Tails – The best gay clubbing in Luxembourg hosting regular events which are anything but subtle. Fully embracing gay culture and hedonism, expect the best DJ’s, an epic atmosphere and gogo boys and shows that go until 6am.
- WOOF Luxembourg – Calling all bears, otters, fetish fans and admires, you don’t want to miss WOOF Luxembourg – A popular men-only party in Luxembourg, with international DJ’s and sexy muscle bear performers. Extremely popular taking place every two months in different venues.
- Ladylike Lesbian Parties – Halleloo! Finally a dance events for all you ladies out there! Luxembourg’s lesbian scene is taking off and Ladylike is at the forefront holding semi-annual girls only dance parties – and we couldn’t be happier. This is totally worth planning your trip to Gay Luxembourg around with pleasure, parting and privacy!
- Bear Pride Luxembourg – Taking place annually in October, this is a great way to see the Bear Scene in full-force with a Mr. Bear Luxembourg Election party, special edition of the WOOF men-only bears & fetish party event and a Bear Sauna day. The bear scene in Luxembourg is extremely active so check out the Bear Dukes Facebook page for events and to connect.
- Luxembourg Pride / GayMat – A popular pride taking on the second Saturday on July every year there are plenty of exhibitions, movie nights, discussion panels and several parties leading up to the event in the week prior. Luxembourg Pride has a small march through town but the after-party events seem to be the most popular.
- Pink Ladies @ Chocolate House Nathalie Bonn – While you can never, ever go wrong with chocolate, we most recommend this for lesbians visiting Luxembourg. The active Rosa Lëtzebuerg / Pink Ladies group hosts meetings here on the every 2nd Friday of each month starting at 8pm. An easy way to get in touch with other women and make new lesbian and ‘questioning’ friends.
- Delux Show Girls – A drag / transformist group with different performances across Luxembourg almost weekly. They keep their Facebook events up to date so take a look to see if they are performing nearby.
- Reebou Sänger – Luxembourg’s first gay men’s chorus meets everything Thursday for rehearsals. Very welcoming and looking to grow their group, these guys all have different levels of singing experience and all they ask is you have an interest in singing. Maybe get in touch in advance via the Facebook page.
With so many one-off events taking place, we recommend checking the Gay Life in Luxembourg’s Facebook events to see if anything new has pop’d up!
Gay Sauna in Luxembourg City
Sadly as of 2018 there are no gay sauna in Luxembourg City. The days where gay men could only meet up in steamy saunas at night are long gone – and most guys in Luxembourg now chose to use popular gay hook-up apps or head to the bars! For the past 15 years, there had been Sauna No1 Club Gay Sàrl but this is now permanently closed. Where all the closeted investment banks who looked forward to their working week in Luxembourg City will go now is anyone’s guess!
If you’re thinking about hiring a car, the nearest gay sauna to Luxembourg are now around a 45-60 minute drive away – but you could consider visiting XL Sauna & Lounge in Saarbrücken (Germany), Red Sauna in Uckange (France) or Zenhit Gay Sauna in Neufchâteau (Belgium). Brussels is also only around a 3-hour train trip away and has plenty of gay sauna options!