Gay Doha, the glitzy capital of Qatar, is a contemporary city home to a booming economy driven by some of the world’s largest gas fields and filled with stylish shopping malls, luxurious hotels, rooftop bars and breakneck development. It’s just a shame Qatar’s push into modernity has left its LGBT rights stalled in the middle ages…
Doha is sleek rooftop terraces, vast apartment complexes, a world-class skyline, lavish infinity pools, scorching beach clubs and, well, just an excessive amount of wealth and gold. Many would argue this grand experiment has been a supreme success, but for the LGBT community, this leap into modernity is very much a facade.
So let’s be clear here…
As forward-looking as Doha aims to be, the absolute monarchy rulers here are definitely cherry-picking which parts of progress and modernity they want to embrace. In Doha, and in all of Qatar, it is still absolutely illegal to be gay. As Islamic Sharia Law is applied all sexual relations outside of a heterosexual marriage are considered a crime. The law stipulates imprisonment between 1 and 3 years for sodomy between men followed by deportation if you are a foreigner. Floggings, beatings, and torture can all be applied to Muslim. Though to be fair, the death penalty has never actually ever been carried out as a punishment for homosexuality or sodomy in the entire history of Qatar.
We know: all that art, fashion, design, glitz luxury, and wild nightlife…with no gays? “I’m not buying it!”
Yes, this sounds all a bit scary and wild, but in reality, Qatar is home to plenty of gay citizens and residents – especially as it is a hub for one of the world’s biggest airlines, Qatar. And all of those cute flight attendants form the backbone of the local gay scene which can be quite fun, if very discreet – and only known through social media or word of mouth!
Yes, you are going to need to either know someone or make some friends through gay hookup apps. One silver lining is Qatar is a very private, and respect for that privacy is of the utmost importance. Therefore paranoia is not needed as people will not pry into your personal business, and the Sharia Police will never come knocking on your hotel door…
Almost all reports for arrests for same-sex sexual activity we could find involved having sex in a public place, so in case you were in doubt public displays of affection are unquestionably off-limits whether you are gay, straight or unicorn. Other than that, the population of Doha is over 85% expats – many of who have very liberal values – so there is no need to live in fear and not enjoy yourself here.
Just be cautious in public as we have heard rumors of local police entrapping gay men at souks. Best to stick to gay hook up apps. For the most part that Qatar wants its local gas to know that they know about them and that they will look the other day as long as nobody steps out of line and forces them to do anything about it.
ACCESS THE GAY APPS.
PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY.
REMAIN ANONYMOUS!Find The Best Gay VPN Deal Now
If you do decide to visit Gay Doha, you will either fall head-over-heels in love, or absolute detest everything it stands for. Radiating glamor and glitz in every imaginable way, the extravagant of Doha reaches dizzying heights and is one of the ultimate luxury travel destinations in the Middle each.
From the lofty heights of its ultramodern architecture to the fashionable beach clubs, burgeoning cultural scene, opulent hotels, and resorts, nothing in Gay Doha is ever understated or straightforward.
Gay Doha Guide: The Essential Guide To LGBT Travel In Doha Qatar
Attractions in Doha
Because gay life in Doha only really takes place in a few select parties and behind closed doors, during the day most gay travelers in Doha simply want to get out and see the sights.
As all, the appeal of desert oasis’s, crazy architecture, beach clubs, and world-class shopping is not specific to sexuality…
As always, gay travelers in Doha should take extreme care not to accidentally make any public displays of affection. Otherwise, Doha is a very safe, and a common-sense approach to travel will generally ensure you have no issues exploring this splashy city of the future!
- Desert Safari – The number one thing to do in Doha – for locals and tourists – is to head to the to go dune bashing and enjoy fun by the sea in the sun.Experience dune bashing across the southern desert of Qatar from the safe confines of a 4×4 Land Cruiser while taking in views of the inland sea – a natural border to Saudi Arabia, and enjoy the salty seaside air. After thrashing around the dunes, enjoy a wonderfully relaxed afternoon in a stylish Bedouin camp, with the opportunity to try out sandboarding, snorkeling, and swimming.
- Al Wakra Souq – See traditional architecture, handicrafts, folk art, and so many other wonderful products first hand – or take them home for yourself. Hopefully, you have a decent checked luggage allowance and there is a lot to desire here. Stop by one of the falcon shops where shopkeepers will allow you to photograph and handle the birds for a free and then just wander, soaking up the up the ambiance and local color.
- National Museum of Qatar – Escape the oppressive heat and explore the gems of this architecturally unique museum which houses a range of historical & natural history exhibits exploring the history of this curious nation.
- Explore Islamic Heritage – Go on an expedition of cultural proportions and learn all about the Islamic heritage of Doha. Make sure you visit the Fanar Islamic Cultural Center and the Museum of Islamic Art to gawk at the extensive collection of cultural artifacts before wandering the halls of the Grand Mosque and seeing first hand how religious life in Doha influences the daily lives of the citizens.
- Gondolania – Sick of culture? Why not do like the locals do and head to this fashionable amusement park with-in a mall complete with thrilling rides, gondola boats, ice skating, go-karts & a 4D theater.
- Western Coast of Doha – Witness the marvelous sights of Qatar outside of Doha, including the Ras Abrouq Rock Formations and the Zekreet Beach. Be sure not to miss the Al Maha Sanctuary, home to the elegant Arabian Oryx, which is unique to this part of the world and to stop for a quick photo stop beside the Richard Serra “East-West/West-East” sculpture.
- Shopping in Qatar – If Souk’s and traditional markets are not your thing, Qatar has no shortage of luxury brands or malls filled with designer clothes. Hit the newest shops in Doha without the hassle of lugging heavy bags or parking with a fashionable shopping tour or just make your own by heading the other city’s retail hotspots: the Pearl-Qatar, Lagoona Mall, and Villaggio Mall.
- Corniche Walk and Dhow Cruise – Discover Doha’s magnificent waterfront from both land and water on this 2-hour tour. Hop aboard a traditional Arabian Dhow for a 45-minute cruise to Al Safliya Island, passing landmarks such as the Dubai Towers and the Museum of Islamic Art, then watch the sunset along the Doha Corniche on a guided walking tour.
BE YOUR MOST
PRIDE 2020 COLLECTION
CHECK OUT THE QUEER IN THE WORLD SUMMER LINE UP.Shop Now
BE THE FIRST TO GET THE BEST!
Gay Hotels in Doha
In a country where being illegal is gay, obviously, there are no gay hotels or resorts in Doha. Zip. Nada. Zilch
If you want those – you should be heading to Puerto Vallarta, Key West, Barcelona or Fire Island. Not Doha.
What Doha has to offer however some of the world’s best luxury hotels known for their opulent décor, spectacular infinity pools, extravagant fine-dining restaurants, and magnificent spa experiences. So why not flash out on an experience you will never, ever forget!
For gay travelers, there is one glaring complication: men sharing a bed is inherently forbidden. While Sharia Police are not invading hotel rooms, many hotels will automatically allocate you a twin room or add an extra bed without letting you know. It is up to you how you want to handle this.
Most international luxury brands will allow gay couples to share beds – so if you feel comfortable just selection a double instead of a twin configuration when booking. If they respect this, then perfect. But if you changed at check-in, our advice is to err on the side of caution and settle with what you are given.
It sucks. But again, you are visiting a country where homosexuality is strictly forbidden. If it helps, unmarried straight couples are also compelled by law to not share a bed, and while some low-end hotels have been known to enforce this, it is rarely enforced. Of course, if it doesn’t bother you then booking a twin room is much easier, and to some people more considerate of the place that you are in.
But let’s forget the sad state of LGBT rights in Qatar and focus on the fun stuff. Find all your Doha hotel options here but we have gathered together of favorite gay-popular luxury hotels in Doha, and a few more budget-friendly options with style and sass to make things easier.
We are talking eleganza extravaganza darling.
- The Torch Doha ☆☆☆☆☆ – One of the leading hotels of the world and currently the tallest hotel in Qatar, the 300m high Torch boasts 360° panoramic views across the whole of Doha, and is a haven for distinguishing travelers. The iconic hotel in Doha is spread across 51 floors that feature 163 modern rooms and suites equipped with iPad in-room solution, award-winning restaurants including the only revolving restaurant in Qatar, state-of-the-art Health Club, and world-class meeting rooms. Personal touches, exclusive services, and modern Qatari hospitality come standard here – as do other fabulous amenities such as a glossy gym with gender-separated areas, a fabulous outdoor swimming pool, and a sauna.
- W Doha ☆☆☆☆☆ – The first lifestyle hotel in Qatar, capturing all the buzz of New York City and bringing it to the already vibrant Doha hotel scene. Positioned in the heart of Doha, each room is filled with an iconic one-of-a-kind design, tech-savvy facilities, and a sophisticated ambiance. Savor award-winning cuisine, soak up the atmosphere in the W signature Living Room experience or loiter over coffee at the W Café. If you want to party then the rotating roster of international and up-and-coming DJs in the Crystal Lounge will appeal or you can just mingle with the trendiest crowd at Wahm, an indoor lounge, and poolside retreat. There is also a modern gym, blissful spa, and hyper-Instagrammable locations throughout the hotel. A rather popular choice for a gay hotel in Doha, but discretion is always advised – even though the W hotel chain is known internationally for being particularly gay-friend.y
- The Ritz-Carlton, Doha ☆☆☆☆☆ – Expedition to an élite island resort, where no extravagance is out of reach. Rebelling from the shores of the flickering Persian Gulf, The Ritz-Carlton Doha merges modern and customary design into a genuine diverse experience. Boasting award-winning restaurants, a relaxing spa, invigorating views, and sophisticated rooms and suites, this five-star hotel combines contemporaneous lavishness with the warmth of a traditional Arabian welcome.
- Four Seasons Hotel Doha ☆☆☆☆☆ – A magnificent hotel that combines the best of Qatar’s capital, with skyline views on one side and a pristine, private Arabian Gulf beach on the other. Dine at the world’s grandest Nobu restaurant, unwind at their three-story Spa, or just relax in your palatial room. Whether you’re on a business trip or a break, you’ll leave rejuvenated and begging for more…
- The Westin Doha Hotel & Spa ☆☆☆☆☆ – Offering the ideal urban location and set in impressive landscaped gardens, this luxe hotel offers 364 guest rooms, suites and private pool villas all custom designed to let guests discover heaven on earth. There is a variety of dining options including 6 or if you are looking to relax and unwind, there is always the serene Heavenly Spa. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed, plus there is a gym, squash courts, and indoor/outdoor pools.
- Amari Doha Hotel ☆☆☆☆ – A glitzy, modern hotel offering a wonderful rooftop pool, the award-winning Breeze Spa, a plush restaurant serving authentic Arabic and Thai cuisine and a gym. Set in the heart of Qatar’s vibrant capital, Amari Doha is just 20 minutes from Hamad International Airport with cultural attractions, shopping and entertainment venues ( as well as the business district nearby) this modern hotel is conveniently located for both business and leisure travelers.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Doha Old Town ☆☆☆☆ – A new, 4-star international hotel in Old Salata offering the perfect base for business and leisure travelers. Enjoy expansive guest rooms and suites, a unique buffet restaurant and a sky bar that will take your breath away. No hotel in Doha is openly gay-friendly but the Hilton globally is well-known as an LGBT friendly chain, which might explain why so many gay travelers chose to stay here in Doha. All of the spacious guest rooms offer panoramic city views through floor-to-ceiling windows and if you want to stay fit and focus there is a spa, modern gym, steam room and sauna on site.
- K108 Hotel Doha ☆☆☆☆ – Only 8 minutes away from Doha International Airport, this is a popular stop-over hotel for those in Doha for only a short time. Each room has floor-to-ceiling windows, wooden furniture and is decorated in modern style, with white and olive green colors, featuring individually controlled air-conditions in rooms, a 32” flat-screen TV, magnifying mirror, hair dryer, and a heated towel rack.
- Centro Capital Doha – By Rotana ☆☆☆☆ – Whether your idea of unwinding is doing a few laps in a sparkling pool or pounding away… on the state-of-the-art treadmill, this wonderful hotel offers the ultimate relaxing environment for more budget travelers. There is contemporary architecture aplenty, unique living space, advanced technologies, large rooms, helpful staff – and a rooftop swimming pool. What more could you want?
Gay Nightlife in Doha
As you would expect in a country where being gay is absolutely illegal, Qatar does not have the flamboyant over-the-top gay scenes of Tel Aviv, Fort Lauderdale or Sydney. It sadly doesn’t even have a scene to match those of Istanbul or Kuala Lumpur or the undercover gay Mecca for gay Arab men – Gay Dubai – to the south.
Sorry guys, hot sweet club hookups or cruisey dance floors are just not a thing here…
Despite being very conservative by Western standards, Doha offers alcohol and sex-starved Arabs a quick fix before returning to their even more strict homelands — and yes that include the gays. For example, Saudi Arabia, one of the world’s most conservative countries, is only right next door, and Iran is just across the Gulf. It might be bad to be a gay in Doha, but in most of the neighboring countries, it can be a lot worse.
There is nothing is worse than the death penalty after all…right?
In Gay Doha, it’s all about knowing the right people here, and while there are occasional unofficial gay parties taking place in lavish suites and a few hotel bars known for awkward, anxious and hungry eye contact of young men looking for action – we don’t really recommend them. If you are only in Gay Doha of a quick visit the gay hookup apps are going to be your best source of information. Just do not forget to protect yourself with a reliable VPN.
Even at few gay hotspots, you will only see a bunch of men randomly sitting around with loud music, so in this way, it is no different than any other Middle East nightclubs. While private apartments and hotel rooms are almost never invaded, police raids of clubs and parties suspected of being gay are somewhat common.
So no matter how safe you feel in your alcohol-fueled cocoon, remember the consequences for gay sex in Doha can be up to ten years in prison – or the death penalty if you are a Muslim.
That’s our subtle way of saying, no club bathroom should ever, ever be treated like a dark room and it is best to save all PDA -even kissing or touching – for back in the privacy of your accommodation.
We did discover one or two gay parties in Doha, but you will need to ask around on Grindr the day before for information. If you want huge gay parties you typically have to make the trip up to more liberal Dubai in part, because the sale of alcoholic beverages is even more regulated in Doha and only sold in four or five-star hotels.
Sorry, we don’t make the rules. Nor do we want to expose anyone to trouble…
However, we have put together a list of our favorite gay-popular nightlife spots in Doha for cocktails and glamour. After all, Doha is an elaborate playground for those who are on a quest for the finer things in life: elegant bars, world-class nightclubs, and sophisticated beach clubs.
To be clear none of these spots are openly gay-friendly and we are recommending them more for their over-the-top-style, fun vibes and extreme refinement.
Feel free to enjoy yourself, but behave – and exercise restraint boys…
Nightlife in Doha
- Noir Lounge & Club – One of the most exclusive clubs in Doha with a design inspired by the old-school 1930s to 1950s Hollywood ‘Film Noir’. Imagine theatrical monochromatic styling, posh service, and a young and fabulous expat crowd. The comfy interior makes sure you have enough space to dance with good music to bring everyone to their feet. Busy most nights of the week, but their Lipstick Monday events are always a roaring success.
- Wahm Lounge @ W Doha Hotel & Residences – An upscale lounge with chic design, delicious cocktails and a wonderful pool for cooling off during the day. Perfect for relaxed drinks, meet-ups and people watching. Dress code is smart elegant at all times.
- Jazz Club @ Oryx Rotana – A central gathering place for the city’s music lovers featuring everything from jazz and pop, to golden oldies. Happy hour finishes at 8, but the live band is pretty good and the music actually allows you to enjoy the company of those you are with. A classic hangout spot that never seems to go out of style.
- Mix Bar Lounge & Terrace – A lively, expressive affair that gives a new heart to Doha’s social scene. Their spirited approach belies an adamant commitment to quality. Watch the talented mixologists work their magic while you find a corner and fill it with friends – this is where Doha comes to play.
- PURE @ DoubleTree Hilton – Ever wondered how Gay Doha looks during the night, how fabulous music can create an unforgettable atmosphere or simply how a signature cocktail tastes even better with skyline views? All your questions will be answered in PURE – a rooftop lounge with a stunning view of the sunset and Doha’s skyline.
- The Rooftop – The name says it all realty. The Rooftop brings to Doha the urban chic vibes of New York, Beirut, and London. Guests ascend from the private entrance in the lower floor of the St. Regis hotel and step out onto a breathtaking, stylish and spacious terrace. Naturally, music is a vital ingredient and the fresh, international sounds created by the resident DJ never fail to complement and enhance the vibe. The Rooftop takes Doha nightlife literally to unparalleled new heights.
- Black Orchid Nightclub – Step behind the handcrafted speaker doors, into the secret tunnel that sets the tone for a royal entrance to Mondrian Doha’s nightclub. Discover the unique vibes from the moment you enter and enjoy the night in sophistication. Surrounded by gold-framed mirrors, two bars, and an oversized DJ booth, Black Orchid is the place to be seen and see Doha from a perfect perspective.
- Rise – A sensational cocktail bar that is not to be missed. Located high on the 27th floor, offering spectacular views of the artificial island the Pearl, West Bay, and Lusail City, Rise takes after the famous Skybar in Mondrian LA. Inspired by the phenomenal colors of the sky, Rise’s hand-painted glass dome as its roof, fills the room with magical hues throughout the day, as you look down on the pool area and admire the crystal chandeliers hanging from above.
Beach Clubs in Doha
Unfortunately, most of the city beaches in Doha are available for hotel beach club guests only. Sunbathing free of charge is possible further up the Qatar peninsula with its kilometers of impressive, untouched coastline but unless you have a 4×4 you will need to pay for a day pass to enjoy the beach in Gay Qatar. Luckily, we have a few marvelous options that you might want to try out…
- Sunset Beach Club @ Doha Marriott – Perfect for social bunnies, this cool spot might only have a small beach area but it is well-known as one of the most vibing hangouts day or night. With a picturesque marina on one side and the West Bay skyline across the water, its all very glamorous here darling, and for a small fee you can indulge even further with gym access, use the fabulous spa with Turkish baths or try the Pearl Lounge, if you want to continue parting after the sun goes down.
- Sealine Beach Resort – An oasis of tranquility located amidst the poetical dunes of the Arabian Desert kissed by the blue waters of the Arabian Sea – or so they tell you! From our experience, things are a little more active here (by day and night) with a huge range of activities, a chic oceanview shisha and drinks lounge with fabulous cocktails and a gorgeous palm-fringed beachfront. Day access is rather affordable but given Sealine Beach Resort is 50 minutes out of Doha with lower room rates it is also ideal for a mini-getaway.
- Four Seasons Beach Club – Relax on the curve of golden sand on this exclusive private beach which overlooks the Arabian Gulf – with no boat traffic! Four Seasons wellness agents patrol the beach and are ready and waiting to enhance your sun experience, providing fresh towels and spritzes of cool water. Perfect for poolside loungers, treat yourself to a day of sun, private beach access and five outdoor swimming pools with fabulous cocktails and service.
Gay Sex in Doha
Let’s not beat around the bush here, if you have not figured this out already – Gay sex in Doha is completely illegal. Any public displays of affection between same-sex couples put you at risk of prison or deportation. Even accidental ones.
Still, thousands of gay travelers flock to Doha every day and just as many LGBT people live here. Not to mention this is the home base for Qatar Airway and all those flight attendants. And you just know they are not all signing up to a vow of abstinence while they are here!
This weird equilibrium is only possible because the Sharia Police are really only focused on what you do in public. So don’t flaunt your sexuality in public, and be careful of where (and who) you meet – and things will generally be fine. Sharia Police don’t go about smashing down doors to private apartments or hotels or watching your every move, so with discretion, you can still have plenty of private fun here.
Don’t believe us?
Under Qatar law, only married hetero-couples are even allowed to have sex, or share a bed – and police are not scouring hotels and arresting them either!
It’s all a bit wink-wink, nudge-nudge…There are no gays here!
We cannot stress enough the importance of protecting yourself by installing a reliable VPN on your phone or laptop before you go to Gay Doha. Anything even remotely LGBTQ related is blocked in this country – including all your favorite gay hookup apps.
Protect your privacy and remain anonymous with a VPN before ever attempting to connect with other gay men in Doha – and always take extreme care. At the end of the day, the Doha’s authorities are not in the business of hunting gay tourists to arrest so conversely don’t be too afraid of having some hot fun with the right guy behind closed doors.
We believe nobody should ever have to regress back into the closet or hide who they are, but if you are choosing to travel to Gay Doha it is, unfortunately, the only way to stay safe…
Gay Doha Map