A liberal metropolis where LGBT people are embraced as a natural part of society, Gay Munich is one of the hottest travel destinations right now!
You can find just about anything here if you know where to look: beer halls, fine art, street cafes, historic architecture and even an oft-overlooked but very much alive gay village in Munich.
By day there are plenty of sexy lederhosen-clad boys and girls picnicking in tranquil parks or exploring their royal Bavarian heritage but by night you can find any true of queer nightlife you can imagine. High-brow cocktails? Bears with beers? All-night club events? Dark underground fetish parties? Check, check, check and CHECK!
While Germany might have taken a ‘better later than never’ approach to legalizing gay marriage, it is frequently named one of the most gay-friendly countries in the world. 1920’s Berlin was famed as a relative paradise for LGBT people at the time, and same-sex sexual activity was decriminalization relatively early by world standards – 1968 in East Germany and 1969 in the West.
Today this results in Gay Munich having a long and well-established presence with some of the oldest gay bars and cruising venues in the world. Munich’s lesbian and gay scene is also one of Germany’s biggest centered around the trendy Glockenbachviertel neighborhood – though plenty of gay bars and events are also scattered around the city.
If you can plan a trip to Gay Munich around the fabulous summer Pride Festival or the ranchy Gay Oktoberfest celebrations to see how truly welcomed LGBT people are in Munich. If you plan to attend be sure to book your hotels far in advance for this peak-travel dates as it is crazy busy. If your visiting during the rest of the year the world-class museums, beautiful places, hipster hang-outs and mystery surrounding the last (most definitely gay) King of Bavaria will give tourists more than enough reason to visit Gay Munich – whether it’s for a night, a week or to live full-time!
Gay Munich Guide: The Essential Guide To LGBT Travel In Munich Germany
In this article we will cover...
Attractions in Gay Munich
Obviously being gay does not define which attraction most of us will want to see in each city and most queer tourists will simply want to check out the top things to see in Munich during the day! Munich is a very safe city but still, all travelers should take caution with valuables. Gay people in Munich do not need to take any extra precautions in terms of public displays of affection in this very progressive city and should have no issues exploring Munich’s beauty!
Gay Things To Do In Munich
- Müller’sches Volksbad – A truly magnificent art nouveau design swimming pools, one of the most beautiful in Europe. Wallow in the splendor of a bygone area in sauna, pools and steam rooms. It’s not a gay sauna at all, but is very gay-popular on Wednesday so you never know what might happen as you bath like the ancient Romans.
- Brunos Store – A queer clothing chain for the modern gay man with plenty of fun contemporary products, sexy or otherwise. In the heart of the Munich gay village and bursting with Pride. You really should take a look and support a business that is committed to the gay community first and foremost!
- Nymphenburg Palace – You’re spoilt for choices when it comes to beautiful palaces in Bavaria but we are in love with Nymphenburg. The 200-hectare grounds are covered in symmetrical baroque gardens but the real highlight is the 18th-century palace estate with rococo interiors and a coach museum. Not to be missed!
- Deutsches Museum – The largest and most important science and technology museum in the world. With over 28,000 exhibited objects across more than 50 fields of science and technology, there is something for everyone here!
- Viktualienmarkt – One of the main attractions in Munich, and very gay-popular! Wanter through this historic food market and get an idea of German cuisine. It’s not all Bratwurst and Pretzels you know!
- Allianz Arena – An icon of modern Munich, if you’re a fan of football you will already know about this huge stadium made famous for its ability to change the color of its exterior. Try to catch a game here for the full experience, or take a tour inside during the day.
- Hofbräuhaus München – Get an idea of the Oktoberfest atmosphere if you visiting out-of-season. A real beer hall, real beers and real Germans – and these days quite a few tourists. The atmosphere here is intoxicating!
- Englischer Garten – A beautiful garden to explore in the summer and one of the biggest green spaces in Munich. Explore the Japanese tea-house, or fun the surfing spot thanks to an artificial wave generator!
- Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein – The most famous castle in the world and said to have been the inspiration for the Disney Logo today. A visit to Munich is not complete without a visit to this picture-perfect spot nestled in the foot of the Alps. Gay travelers should ask about Ludwig II of Bavaria and his strong homosexual desires, or indeed his intense interest in the operas of Richard Wagner – and the man himself.
Gay Annual Events In Munich
- DJane’s Delight – A hugely popular women’s festival taking place annually in Munich. Largely lesbian attendees but open to any women with an abundance of club events, dancing, and good vibes.
- QueerFilmNacht – Holds gay film events across Germany and there is at least one annually in Munich. A fun way to meet people in the Munich gay community without using dating apps or alcohol. Plus the films are pretty amazing (but you just need to see the sexy yet sad Free Fall / Freier Fall before you go to Gay Germany!)
- Gay Oktoberfest – Members of the LGBT community are free to attend the epic Oktoberfest Beer festival anytime they wish, but many choose to attend “Rosa Wiesn-Oktoberfest” or the “Pink Meadow Oktoberfest” on the first Sunday of every festival. Thousandattendees attendees visit the Bräurosl tent on this one day with hook-ups everywhere, the music switched for Pop icons such as Gaga, Beyonce and Madonna and many choosing to wear fetish fashion. Started by the Munich Lions’ Club Fetish Club in the 1970’s, this is now a strong tradition with drag queens, an attitude-free atmosphere and condoms available in the bathrooms! Book your hotels months in advance for Gay Oktoberfest though as prices skyrocket!
- Munich Pride – Also known as ‘Christopher Street Day’, this week-long party celebrates the role of the LGBT community in making Munich what it is today, and is totally worth planning a trip around. Held annually in July since 1980, the highlights are the huge street festival, a vibrant parade and clubbing in the city hall – but there are plenty of other events! Today it is largely about celebrating but of course still much needs to be done to achieve total equality and Munich Pride still has a strong focus on its political roots.
BE YOUR MOST
PRIDE 2020 COLLECTION
CHECK OUT THE QUEER IN THE WORLD SUMMER LINE UP.Shop Now
BE THE FIRST TO GET THE BEST!
Gay-friendly and Gay Hotels in Munich Germany
Being one of the most gay-friendly countries in the world, almost every hotel and hostel in Munich can be considered open and welcoming to LGBT travelers. After all being gay-friendly is simply providing a non-judgmental and respectful environment in which all people are treated equally. Elegant design, helpful staff and great value for money also help. Some businesses have gone above and beyond in recognizing and marketing to the LGBT community, and it seems to have paid off!
There are a now quite a few well-known hotels in Munich that are go-to hot spots for gay travelers…and really, doesn’t everyone like to be surrounded by people with common interests! There is also one non-exclusive gay hotel in Munich with a very popular sauna, and hundreds of other hotel option in Munich
if you don’t find what you are looking for.
Gay tourists normally find the most fun place to stay is close to the Glockenbachviertel gay area (roughly between Viktualienmarkt to Sendlinger Tor), with its relaxed atmosphere and resplendent gay flags. The Munich City center is very close and is a popular option too. Weather you want a fun and social hostel, a cheap place to crash after a night of partying or a chic designer option to sip cocktails and surround yourself with fabulous people – Gay Munich as something for everyone!
- Mandarin Oriental ☆☆☆☆☆ – A luxurious stay in this prestigious hotel is on the top of our bucket list. An ornate 1880s opera house thoroughly renovated to provide a world-class stay with an oriental flair and German charm. The roof-top infinity pool is unique in Munich, as are the suites with terraces and whirlpool tubs. Extensive amenities, wonderful views and a location that is second-to-none.
- Louis Hotel ☆☆☆☆☆ – Chic and poised design with a hidden heart, a stay at the Louis Hotel perfectly captures the essence of the Bavarian capital. A newly opened sleek art museum that has been the talk of the town, and very popular thanks to it’s understated style and luxury. We loved the spacious and elegant rooms completed by wooden furnishings, breakfast at the rooftop restaurant, gym and Finnish sauna!
- BEYOND by Geisel ☆☆☆☆☆ – An upscale hotel that really does go above and beyond to exceed your exceptions. With a premium location directly on Marienplatz, casual living room to relax and meet-up and a fun open-kitchen concept to provide complimentary snacks and drinks 24/7. Just like your at home. Other highlights include the floor-to-ceiling windows with views, luxurious in-room tubs and funky rooms with warm yet inspirational design.
- The Charles Hotel ☆☆☆☆☆ – Housed in a former University library overlooking the old Botanical Gardens, this elegant hotel is truly enchanting and indulgent. Featuring the city’s longest indoor pool, a state-of-the-art spa, sophisticated rooms and plenty of character. The Charles Hotel is one of our most frequently booked hotels in Munich, and only a 15 minute walk to all of the gay nightlife in Munich.
- 25hours Hotel The Royal Bavarian ☆☆☆☆☆ – One of the funkiest designer hotel chains we have ever seen and quickly shaking up the often tired hotel scene in cities it establishes in. We have also stayed at their Dusseldorf and Zurich locations and are just a little obsessed. Every hotel is still utterly unique and their Munich location offers heritage with a twist. Come of you are, 25hours offers a cozy sanctuary that even gay Ludwig would approve off. Expect plenty of hipsters, surprises, and a hotel experience like no other.
- The Flushing Meadows Hotel ☆☆☆☆ – One of the best designer hotels in Munich and the most popular with our readers. Located on the top floors of an industrial bruising in the heart of Glockenbach. This is detail-orientated hotel and it really shows, from the spacious, sunny loft rooms complete with vegan/organic cosmetics by the Walachei to the fun roof-top bar and breakfast bar with panoramic views. You can even see the alps on a good day! Gay-popular for obvious reasons, this is a unique stay that big-chain hotels just can’t compete with.
- Hilton Munich City ☆☆☆☆ – A short walking distance from the Glockenbach gay quarter, this international hotel chain is known for its gay outreach programs and it is clearly working from what we saw. A bit dated rooms but is undergoing a renovation in 2017 / 2018 slowly to avoid any disruption to guests.
- Derag Livinghotel am Viktualienmarkt ☆☆☆☆ – An upscale hotel close to the gay scene in Munich with beautiful design, quiet rooms, plenty of space and wonderful staff. An added bonus is the washing machine and dryer in cellar for guest use, views of the Viktualienmarkt from some rooms and coffee machines in every room.
- Hotel Deutsche Eiche ☆☆☆ – The only gay hotel in Munich but they don’t advertise themselves this way. In the heart of the Glockenbachviertel gay quarter with the best gay sauna in Munich, where not sure what else you would call it! Sure, the decor could do with an update but the service is fabulous and you will be surrounded by gay, lesbian and creative types. This gay hotel is also very affordable and close to absolutely everything you could want or desire.
- Hotel Isartor ☆☆☆ – A modern hotel in the center of the Munich gay area if you don’t feel like stay in a gay hotel in Munich. Simple rooms, great reviews and an included breakfast. The gym and spa facilities are a nice bonus on longer stays as was the rooms with large balconies.
- ibis Hotel München City ☆☆☆ – An international renown chain which proves the lowest private room price we could find in central Munich. You always know exactly what you’re getting here with Ibis. Here you will find a simple but clean room, bargain prices, modern facilities after a recent renovation and a nice location next to the railway station yet not too far from any of the main sites.
- Wombats City Hostel Munich ☆☆ – A modern and fun hostel in a central location in Munich. Great vibes and design, plus an all-you-can-eat continental breakfast and helpful staff. If you don’t mind sharing a room, want to save your euros + meet plenty of young travelers to go out and explore the town/nightlife with then this is the place for you!
Munich is well-known for its wild nightlife that goes until sunrise and there are plenty of gay bars and clubs to cater for any kind of mood. While laid-back gay bars are very common in Munich, if you want an all-night clubbing experience you will need to look out for one of the many ‘pop-up’ gay club nights in otherwise straight clubs.
We have listed the most famous here and feel free to contact us so we can update our Gay Munich guide if you hear of others. Otherwise we just recommend starting at one of the gay bars in Munich and asking around. If you’re not sure where to start just head to the Munich gay ghetto, Glockenbachviertel (GBV) in the downtown around Gärtnerplatz/Hans-Sachs- Straße/Müllerstraße. Look for the rainbow flags and crowded doorways and you will be fine!
Gay Bars In Munich
- Prosecco – A proper gay disco complete with fabulous disco balls hanging from the roof, a healthy dose of nostalgia and soft pink lighting throughout. In the heart of the Munch gay village, this is a bar to go to later in the evening for a no-attitude party and mixed ages crowd. Expect cheesy German pool, gay anthems and TOP 50! One of the top gay bars in Munich.
- Edelheiss – Small, popular and friendly, this gay bar is never boring. Its men only which is a nice change from brides-to-be coming out on their hen’s night to view us like animals at a zoo. Mostly attracting an older crowd and bears who like beer. A good place to find out about the Munich gaybourhood and to start the night.
- Zur Feuerwache – A old-fashioned gay bar in Munich for men who like men. Great location in central Munich and mostly locals who come for the smoker-friendly atmosphere and fabulous owner. There is not much else that identified it as a gay-bar except the clientele, and that’s how they like it.
- Café NiL – A popular gay bar for starting the night out, this local landmark is better for socializing and meeting up than an all-night party. Go for the cornflake schnitzel and enjoy the comfortable booth seating where your sure to strike up a conversation in no time. The owner Manfred Krischer has some real stories to tell as well.
- Sub Café – A popular gay hangout in Munich run by the Sub, gay communication, and cultural center. They always have events on and is a social focal point of Munich’s LGBT community. Check out their one a month Fetish & Fab Bar tour through the gay bars and pubs of Munich – in horny and extravagant costumes.
- Bar Rendezvous – A fun, retro gay bar in Munich with nice outdoor tables during the day and fun anything-goes vibes in the evening. Local popular, but really you have to try hard these days to find a German that does not speak English!
- Kraftwerk – A fabulous cafe and gay bar in Munich with nice food, no-attitudes crowd and fun music.
- Auroom – A gay-popular cocktail bar in Munich known for their espresso martini, relaxed vibes and sleek design. In the heart of the Gay Munich area.
- Drei Glöcklein – Another gay pub in Munich that is only differentiated by its clientele and a little rainbow flag over the doorway. Just men and beer, no hijinx or gimmicks.
Nightlife Events and Gay Clubs In Munich
- NY.Club – The only gay dance club in Munich having re-opened after it’s only located was demolished. This place is absolutely legendary and by all accounts, the new club has the same epic vibes. Go on Friday for Pop/Charts/Black/HipHop/Disco music with LuxusPop or Saturday for true NY.Club with Uplifting Progressive/Vocal & Tribal House music.
- Garry Klein @ Harry Klein – They don’t call it WednesGAY for nothing! Every week all the restless gay boys in Bavaria head to this club night for house/techno music and no sleep till dawn. The weekend is overrated and sleep is for loser’s anyway right?
- Queer Squad @ Rote Sonne – A monthly dance party held with a total focus on inclusivity and acceptance. Very alternative but great music and vibes in one of Munich’s hottest clubs. We only seem to find Facebook individual event pages so please contact us if you have more information or ask Rote Sonne.
- Jenny TANZT – Another reincarnation of the Jennifer Park bar, this time in the form of Munich biggest gay party taking place every 2 or 4 weeks at either Oberangertheater or Isarpost. Arrive around 10.30 for happy hour, cheaper entry and shots but the dance party doesn’t really get going till after midnight
Gay Cruising & Gay Saunas in Munich
Had enough of gay cruising in Munich – either in the bars or elsewhere? For those who want a bit more guaranteed action, the gay saunas in Munich will not disappoint you (unlikely all those faceless accounts on Grindr or the other hook up apps…). In such a foreign-friendly city you should have no issues visiting any Munich gay sauna, but you could also consider one of the many gay cruise club, bars and adult shops in Munich if you’re more into the cruise & fetish scene.
- Schwabinger Men Sauna – A sauna with cult status thanks to its almost nightmare inducing interior. Seriously who decorated this place? Love it or hate it, your not going for their design but to enjoy all the actives of this private men’s playground. Steam room, sauna, bar, traditional Finnish sauna (though the ones in Helsinki are better) male massages, lounge and a dark room with a sling. In the north of the city but easy to find with the subway system, Schwabinger Men Sauna has a loyal local following.
- Sauna Deutsche Eiche – In the heart of the Munich gay area, this is the most popular sauna here – and for good reason. It’s upscale, almost elegant and part of the associated Deutsche Eiche gay hotel in Munich. With capacity for over 250 people, the bathhouse here covers four floors and almost 4,600 square feet. It has a Finnish sauna, massage rooms, salt sauna, whirlpool, shower area, large steambath, shower area, bar, private booths and solarium. There are probably a few other features too but you get the idea – this Munich gay bathhouse is the place to be! a rooftop garden, a Bistro & Bar, TV rooms, relaxation rooms, individual and exclusive booths, as well as an appropriately cozy food and beverage area.
- Herrensauna – An old-school sauna in Munich but you prefer mature guys and bears this could be the best option. In the center of Munich close to Hauptbahnhof Station. Simple yet effective with a bar, lounge, sauna and shower.
- CAMP – The best gay cruising in Munich takes place in this packed cruising area. A fun mix of twins, youngsters and oldies with an atmosphere conducive to plenty of action. The biggest darkroom in Munich but at peak times (onwards from 11 pm on weekend nights) it can still be too many people. Different events every night of the week from Kinky to Naked and undies / briefs so find the right choice and head along. Never a dull moment here!
- Munich Lions Club e.V. (MLC) – This well-known Munich fetish group is actually one of the biggest gay fetish clubs in all of Europe. MLC has a well-equip clubhouse aptly named ‘Underground’ for all it’s club night. All the toys and special play areas you would expect catering to a diverse crowd – with showers, Lockes and a bar. Hosting fetish parties in Munich most weekend nights, you need to register in advance on their website where you can also find upcoming events
- Duplexx – A adult sex toys shop and cinema whose labyrinth, private cabins, dark room and glory holes are well known by those who enjoy gay cruising in Munich. A popular chain that also managed included Erotixx (another Munich adult store with less popular cruising space in Poccistraße or Rosenheimer Straße). Outside Munich, there are locations across Gay Germany including in Münster, Aachen, Osnabrück, Berlin and Hamburg
- Ochsengarten – Having opened its doors over 50 years ago this is the true ‘daddy’ of gay cruising in Munich even though it’s really more of a gay bar. There is a popular back-room, gay porn playing all the time and an older, mature crowd.
- Buddy – A small gay adult sex store in the heart of the Munich gay area. There is a cruisy cinema out back, glory hole maze and cabins so its worth it to stop by and see if there is any action, but it’s not our favorite cruising spot in Munich.