Gay Eindhoven has a long and proud history of supporting its queer communities by leading the world in LGBT rights, hosting celebrations such as Pride Eindhoven and generally just not telling then what they can and can’t do!
How refreshing right? A country that – even historically – was not obsessed with interfering with its inhabitant’s actions in the bedroom. The Netherlands has always done things differently.
Eindhoven had some of the world’s first gay bars opening in the 1910s and 20s (one of which, Café ’t Mandje, is still open today ), and in 2001 the Netherlands became the first country to grant legal recognition to same-sex marriage. Eindhoven has frequently been named one of the most LGBT-friendly cities in the world, and gay travelers will quickly enjoy the freedoms of living in one of the world’s most culturally liberal countries.
There is a lot more to love in Gay Eindhoven than the many many gay bars, saunas, cruise clubs, dance parties and LGBT events – travelers can marvel at the golden age canals, iconic tilting gabled merchant houses, intriguing museums, vintage shop, creative design studios and the infamous Eindhoven coffeeshops.
Even better English is almost universally spoken by the Dutch, meaning it is never difficult to chat with locals – you will just need to sift through a sea of tourists first! The nightlife here is nothing short of epic yet pleasantly attitude-free, so if you put yourself out there, you will never be lonely for long.
A city where sex has never been taboo, the LGBT community is embraced and nurtured and flamboyant gay glory can be found year round, its no wonder that Eindhoven is one of the world’s most popular queer travel destinations, and so many of us flock here year after year to experience life with real equality and unconstrained freedom.
No matter where your interest lie – culture, nightlife, food, wine, luxury hotels, sex or art – we are certain Gay Eindhoven will have something for you as well…
Gay Eindhoven Guide: The Essential Guide To Gay Travel In Eindhoven Netherlands 2019
In this article we will cover...
Attractions in Gay Eindhoven
Being gay does not define which attraction most of us will want to see in each city and most queer tourists will simply want to check out the top things to see in Eindhoven during the day!
Eindhoven is a very safe city, but still, all travelers should take caution with valuables. Gay people in Eindhoven do not need to make any precautions at all regarding public displays of affection in this very progressive city, and we encourage you to experience what true freedom feels like. There are so few places in the world as uninhibited and liberating for gay couples as the Netherlands, and this is something every one of us should be able to experience every day!
Eindhoven has so many things to do it can be overwhelming, but for LGBTI visitors some neighborhoods are particularly interesting. We loved wandering the Amstel, one of the city’s traditional LGBT areas and home to numerous brown cafés that reflect traditional Dutch culture or getting lost in the Zeedijk and Warmoesstraat area which are hubs of LGBT-friendly shops and nightlife in Eindhoven.
Everywhere in Eindhoven is gay-friendly however and you can also find numerous pink businesses and institutions throughout central Eindhoven and on Reguliersdwarsstraat and Kerkstraat. If you are not sure where to go, take a peek at our gay map of Eindhoven at the end to get an idea of where all the gay bars, clubs, sauna, cafes and stores are.
Having said that, here are just a few of our favorite things to do in Eindhoven to get you started!
Top Highlights of Gay Eindhoven
Gay Events In Eindhoven
Van Abbe Museum
Fifth Eindhoven – Keeping Einhoven on its toes is this new concept destination opening in the cities very first gas factory. Today a hip restaurant, jazz lounge, performance venue and almost speakeasy bar are hidden in here offering chic industrial design that is worth a visit alone. Open from breakfast til into the night, the vibe might change here but there is never a bad time to visit. Grab a cocktail, chill with live jazz or just enjoy a relax lunch in their sun-drenched terrace (weather permitting of course)
Gay-friendly and Gay Hotels in Eindhoven Netherlands
While basically every hotel in Eindhoven is friendly and welcoming to the LGBT community, there are some that make an exceptional effort to be part of gay Eindhoven.
No hotels are exclusively for gay men anymore – a sign of the liberal times we guess – but others are still a crucial part of the gay scene because of their location and history and some hotels are just known as being exceptionally welcoming of gay guests. The following gay hotels in Eindhoven can all be relied on for an extraordinary stay in Eindhoven.
There are plenty of other good hotel option in Eindhoven
if you don’t find what you are looking for but we are confident you’ll find something here for you. Whether you want a fun and social hostel, a cheap place to crash after a night of partying or a chic designer option to sip cocktails and surround yourself with fabulous
people – Gay Eindhoven as something for everyone!
Fabulous Hotels in Eindhoven
- Kazerne ☆☆☆☆☆ – Housed in a former military barracks and a disused industrial warehouse, this modern design hotel, Kazerne, offers eight luxury rooms and suites, as well as a 2,500-square-meter exhibition space (with shows changing every four months). Intended from the ground up to celebrate the impact of design by plunging guests in an environment where they eat, drink, meet, and sleep surrounded by the recent works of world-class design talent. A Old World relic transmuted into a spectacular new contemporary hotel. Herea at the Kazerne, tête-à-têtes about art and design are sparked in a private living room with a fire place where guests can rally around the local creative community and enjoy a casual chat with one of the designers. All rooms here feature king-size or twin beds and offer views of the city or the courtyard. Many of the suites play host to a freestanding bathtub, a living room, a kitchenette, and a dining area, while the 140 square meter Penthouse Loft boasts a full kitchen and a dining/meeting table that seats eight. What better way to ensure you experience the extraordinary design scene of Eindhoven by 24/7 that with a stay at the Kazerne Hotel
- NH Collection Eindhoven Centre ☆☆☆☆☆ – A 5-star luxury hotel offering an exceptionally located in the heart of the city, making it an ideal base for business and leisure travelers. This metropolitan 14-floor hotel has 132 generously sized rooms, all freshly decorated in modern style and including modern hardwood floors and French balconies. There is also a compact gym and top floor restaurant + bar with a view over Eindhoven
- The Student Hotel Eindhoven ☆☆☆☆ – A sleek and modern hotel designed to entice a curious explorer’s mind. Steps away from the Eindhoven train station is this soaring 80-meter, 400-room, full-service hotel and co-living community for students, travellers and professionals. There is a funky restaurant and bar, – an Eindhoven foodie hot spot – colourful rooms, gym and game room with table tennis and pool tables. The perfect quirky, designer stay to compliment your time in Gay Eindhoven.
- Design Hotel Glow ☆☆☆ – A charismatic and up-to-date hotel in the heart of Eindhoven with 40 well-equipped and contemporary hotel rooms. The amalgamation of the cosy ambiance and the motivated staff will guarantee that you really feel completely at home here. Design Hotel Glow has all the facilities you would expect from a current hotel such as free WiFI, breakfast and coffee and tea facilities in the rooms.
- Blue Collar Hotel ☆☆ – A perfect mix between nostalgia and rock & roll, perfectly hidden inside an old Philips factory in the booming Strijp-S area. Cold drinks, excellent meals and comfortable beds – all at affordable prices – are the appeal here, and for budget travelers there are large dorms with small price tags to help save some euros. For a fun mini-splurge book into their over-the-top burlesque suites or their Für Elise Room…
- Hotel the Match ☆☆☆ – Another eccentric hotel that aims to give you all the essentials for an enjoyable stay – and nothing more. This means Hotel the Match is not only affordable but actively encourages you to get out and explore the city. The rooms are modern with unpredictable design twists but all include fantastic beds because you won’t be able to drag yourself out of the Eindhoven nightlife before 4 am. There are loaner bikes and smartphones, a seriously cool industrial-chic vibe, helpful staff, and a 24/7 market lobby – but the concept here is truly to immerse yourself in Eindhoven…and no to waste time with hotel breakfasts when there are so many fabulous coffee shops and cafes right on your doorstep.
Gay Nightlife in Eindhoven
While Eindhoven might not be the gay nightlife capital of the world, there is still plenty to love here after the sun goes down.
Stratumsedijk is traditionally the pink street of Eindhoven, but in such an open and tolerant city you can also find a queer bar on the Stratumseind Party Street – and plenty of queer pop-ups/ take over events in otherwise ‘straight spaces’.
One party not to miss is those of the DayDayGay (DDG) if you are lucky enough to be visiting while they have an event planned, but even if not there is surely something for you here. Start in one of the quiet gay cafes then shift to all-night dancing under glittering disco balls later at night – and don’t forget to explore the open-to-all nightlife options here. Locals here don’t feel the need to hang exclusively in gay establishments and neither should you.
Silent discos, elegant rooftop terraces with skyline views, upscale craft beer breweries, and modern jazz bars are all there for the taking, and each filled with friendly Dutch patrons who are happy to indulge foreigners in a conversation. Exciting and freeing, the gay nightlife in Eindhoven has something for everyone!
Gay Bars & Parties In Eindhoven
- De Regenboog – The newest gay bar in Eindhoven offering a cozy space that celebrates diversity. Male, female, gay or straight – everyone can party here. De Regenboog consciously positioned at the beginning of the Stratumseind Party Street – sitting alongside ‘straight bars’ – a potent symbol of the equality and tolerance within this city, as opposed to joining Stratumsedijk, traditionally the pink street of Eindhoven. Inside however you can still expect all those fabulous gay cliches – lots of glitter, disco balls, mirrors and queer themes. Oscillating from quiet cafe to wild nightlife destination, this gay bar is just like its patrons – free to be anything it wants. This is their second location, with the original being in Rotterdam.
- Café Genestho – A small gay gathering space with exceptional friendly owners, occasional live music and a loyal local following. Sit out side in the sun and watch the world go by, or grab a beer at the long bar and strike up a conversation.
- Pallaz – A Eindhoven gay bar known for its late night dance floor, energetic atmosphere and crazy theme parties. A tried-and-tested institution with a 12 year history in the city, offering novel and fun parties most nights of the week with DJs, drag shows and plenty of camp spirt. Loud and incredible proud, check out their Facebook page for upcoming events.
- Pand54 – A small LGBT cafe and meeting place for the queer support group, COC Eindhoven. A safe and accessible space with visitors are always made to feel welcome – no matter who they are. Open three nights a week, with three seperate themes. There is a ‘sporty’ character on Tuesday evening, on Friday evenings it is a ‘Gay Meeting Café’ evening, traditionally aimed at young people and everyone who feels young and on Sunday afternoon there is the relaxed ‘Sunday Matinee’. They also host other important events including a Under 26 night every 2nd Saturday of the month, a Pink Salon for LGBT people aged 50 and over on the last Thursday of the month and a 40+ night on the third Sunday of every month. Other (ir)regular events take place to assisted LGBT asylum seekers and refugees, or those with autism or disabilities. COC Netherlands has been advocating for the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex people since 1946 making it the oldest existing LGBT organization in the world – and we truly believe this is something to be supported!
- DayDayGay (DDG) – Outrageously fabulous queer pop-up events originally created to give homosexuality and queer-ness space at Dutch Design Week, but that has now taken on a life of its own. Underground parties, drag bingo, round-table discussions, dick pic photo booths and dildo displays (what, a dildo was also designed, right?) – you name it and this rebellious group has either done it, or is probably planning to do it very soon. They have recently moved from Strijp-S to the TAC (Temporary Art Centre Eindhoven) given them even more space to break taboos, outrage, amaze and generally just show homosexuality in its full glory. Offering something different from the mainstream gay bars of Eindhoven, DDG represented a part of the queer spectrum that doesn’t have a permanent home in Eindhoven – which help to explain their amazing success so far. Look on their Facebook page for upcoming events – and know everyone is welcome here!
Gay-Friendly Hotspots In Eindhoven
- Mozem – A creative collective from Eindhoven based on friendship. Since 2015, they have been pulling off incredibly inclusive and open-to-all electronic parties that give you live and stimulate all your sense. With a stellar reputation for transforming entire locations for one-off events, from warehouse raves to beach parties – Mozem hosts bespoke events once every month or two that are not to be missed.
- Café 100 Watt – The tasting room of City Brewery / Stadsbrouwerij Eindhoven is the place to head for the ultimate beer experience at its source with 14 taps offering a variety of beers in different styles accompanied with delicious bites. For centuries Eindhoven had several beer breweries. However, they closed one by one and after the last brewery closed its doors in 1953 the city was left with, well Heineken probably, until Stadsbrouwerij Eindhoven opened its doors again. Not only is the beer incredible and the service wonderfully welcoming, but the interior is beautiful with oak floors and a wooden bar perfectly juxtapositioning the old factory building location. There is also an exceptional terrace on the banks of the Dommel which is positively humming in the winter months. The perfect place to start your night…
- LAB-1 – Free-spirited and oh-so-typically Eindhoven this creative spot is, all at once, a club, a cinema, and café-bar. Lab-1 provides an experimental stage for movies, live music, exhibitions, visuals, DJs and events – by day and by night. Watch the best festival, indie, arthouse or Hollywood movies in one of their four movie theatres or pop into the event room for an unexpected concert. Want to dance? There are lively parties in the club on the second floor and relax and flop into a chair at one of their future film marathons on the next floor up. So much more than a cinema, prepare to be amazed.
- RGB CAFE – Who doesn’t love a good silent disco, right? And now in Eindhoven, there is a permanent club offering just this Thursdays to Sunday. RGB is a three-channel Silent Disco party in which three different DJ teams compete against each other at the same time! You can switch between the channels of team Red, team Green and team Blue on your headphones. Now the name RGB makes sense, right? Want House, Hip-hop or Pop, can’t decide or have friends with different music tastes – well, now there is a solution.
- Bobby’s Bar – A hip and rustic bar with a specific focus on craft cocktails. The kind of place that makes you feel like you are in the know and part of the cool crowd. We recommend the Gin Tasting where you can sample a floral, a spicy and a fruity gin&tonic – or for something different why not sign up to one of their cocktail workshops in advance.
- Vane SkyBar – Located on the top two floors of one of the cities tallest towers with a panoramic view of the city center, Vane is the absolute highlight of a more refined Eindhoven nightlife experience. Chic, beautiful and intimate the cocktail come straight from the mind of internationally renowned bartender Tess Posthumus and are inspired by the directions of a weather vane: North, South, East & West… all of which you can from Vane’s dizzying height.
Gay Saunas in Eindhoven
Had enough of gay cruising in Eindhoven – either in the bars or elsewhere?
For those who want a bit more guaranteed action, there is are two gay saunas in Eindhoven… but luckily both are pretty good and should not disappoint you (unlikely all those faceless Grinder accounts or other hook up apps…). Foreigners are happily welcoming in the gay sauna of Eindhoven, and basically, everyone will speak English, but you’ll still need to be good at reading non-verbal cues.
Luckily we have our gay sauna guide to help you out!
Gay sauna or not, in any sexual encounter, please take adequate precautions. No matter what your intentions are in while traveling, you should bring your own condoms and lube to play it safe. Take home a hot guy or a hot memory, not an STD.
Besides, you never know what other fun surprises your trip might have in store for you...
- Sauna Tibet – The most popular gay sauna in Eindhoven, and one of the largest sauna saunas in the Benelux region, which draws in large crowds from the surrounding regions. Sauna Tibet is a completely renovated sauna complex which offers all the expected facilities, and a few unexpected, for you to have a fun afternoon or evening. Spacious, clean, relaxing and welcoming, there are three saunas, two hot tubs, a plunge pool and a large swimming pool for you to enjoy. No to mention the large bar with real fireplace, huge roof terrace, dark rooms, and solarium. Open daily from noon to 2 a.m with monthly promotion listed on their website, and quite popular with the younger crowd since there is a technical campus nearby.
- Sauna Bonaparte – A smaller and cozier gay sauna open daily from midday till midnight with a small bar and good facilities including a Finnish sauna; steam room; darkrooms, cinema and roof terrace. Every third Saturday of the month a Bears Night is organized together with ‘Beertjes’ where all bears, bearded men, and their enthusiasts are welcome.