Sibiu, an enchanting medieval town in the heart of Transylvania transfixes tourists with its art nouveau facade’s, avant-gardist vibes and grand architecture. While Gay Sibiu may be slow coming, this relatively liberal outpost in a very rural country offers some respite for LGBT travelers (and locals) who can enjoy cultural festivals, jazz performances in brick-lined cellars and one of only two gay bars in Romania outside Bucharest.
The first thing to know before a trip to Gay Romania is that homosexuality has not been a crime in over two decades and there are currently no laws against gay citizens in Romania, aside from those that deny equality in marriage. In addition, there are anti-discrimination laws offering protection to same-sex individuals though it seems Romania is currently following flirting with the ‘illiberal’ path of Poland and Hungary as it gears for a referendum to constitutionally prohibit gay marriage.
Many of the progressive moves in LGBT rights in Romania came not from the grass-roots levels but from necessary changes to harmonize with EU laws and to gain accession. This is to say despite the legal paperwork, public attitudes are slow to change and by all accounts Romanians amongst the most conservative and religious people in Europe. Romania is still a very rural country with rural ideas.
In saying all this, we did not experience any discrimination in Romania as the largest liberally minded people work in tourism and hospitality. Many people are probably ignorant at best about homosexuality as it is not uncommon for even relatively open-LGBT people in major cities like Bucharest, Cluj, Timișoara, and Constanta to remained closeted in some parts of their personal and professional life.
After almost of decade of lethargy, we are finally seeing a cohesive gay movement from across Romania spearheaded by organizations such as MozaiQ. Bucharest Pride continues to grow every year and the opening of a gay club in Sibiu – as well as a gay fetish event – are a testament to this! LGBT acceptance in artistic and wealthier Sibiu was far higher than we expected and gay travelers here will find many things to love – whether you’re hiring a car on a more extensive trip around Romania or just in town for a few days. Just don’t expect to find a gay scene like Munich, Prague or Tallinn.
Gay Sibiu Guide: The Essential Guide To Gay Travel In Sibiu Romania 2018
In this article we will cover...
Attractions in Sibiu
Obviously being gay does not define which attraction most of us will want when traveling and most queer tourists will simply want to check out the top things to see in Sibiu during the day! Sibiu is a very safe city, but still, all travelers should take caution with valuables. Hand-holding or same-sex displays of affection should be avoided in this conservative culture, but otherwise, gay travelers should not encounter any other issues when exploring this endearing city.
- Sibiu Old Town – The entire historic center was recently renovated, and Sibiu has never looked better. There is so many sites to see and discover as you explore the medieval charm that got Sibiu named the European Capital of Culture in 2007.
- Brukenthal National Museum – Explore this baroque palace filled with medieval painting. Previously the home of the Habsburg governor of Transylvania, the collection was opened up to the public in 1817, making it the oldest institution of its kind in Romania.
- ASTRA National Museum Complex – Europe’s largest open-air ethnographic museum with mills, churches, traditional Romanian houses and roughly 350 folk architecture monuments. Hire a car or take a bus from town and check their website for special folk workshops or music shows in advance.
- Council Tower of Sibiu – Climb this 13th-century tower for the best views of the Sibiu Old Town.
- Sibiu Lutheran Cathedral – An icon of the city. Take your time to admire this 14th-century church with lookout tower, a small museum, and dramatic exterior.
- Transfăgărășan Highway – Take a day tour or hire a car to explore Romania’s most iconic road in the dramatic Carpathian Mountains. Not to be missed.
- Sibiu cuisine – Head out on a food tour or explore at your own pace the diverse gastronomy of Transylvania. A mosaic of cultures has left their marks here so expect influences ranging from Russian, French, Armenians, and Greek.
- Cindrel Mountains – Romania is famous for its dark, mysterious forests. Get out and explore them and find fabulous mountain peaks, beautiful pastures, and old-grown forests.
- Surroundings of Sibiu – If you get bored in Sibiu explore the sites in the surrounding region for a day like Cisnadie (a fortified church), Cisnadioara (a medieval fortress) and the Poplaca shepherds village.
A city the size of Sibiu has plenty more to explore!
We recommend getting a full guidebook if you are staying for more than a night or two. It probably won’t have any information on Gay Sibiu – that’s what we are here for – but it will have useful tips and an exhaustive list of the best attractions across Romania to assist you on your fabulous adventure!
Gay-friendly and Gay Hotels in Sibiu
In Sibiu, you are unlikely to find a hotel which had any issues with gay guests – and it would be unheard in any of the more luxurious properties. During our travels in Gay Romania, we stayed everywhere from small villages to big cities in a variety of accommodation styles and never once encountered more than a confused ‘Would you like a twin or double bed?’. Even when the hotel staff didn’t speak English we didn’t have any issues and were welcomed everywhere we went.
However, in saying this, some hotels in Sibiu are simply more popular with queer travelers due to their location and LGBT-friendly vibes. These are the hotels we feature here since there is no specific gay hotel in Sibiu. Each of these gay-friendly Sibiu hotels offers something very specific, so be sure to choose the right style and location to meet your needs. Of course, there are also hundreds of more hotels in Sibiu if you don’t find the right one here. Most include free parking but if your hiring a car – be sure to confirm the details of each property as it is hard in the Old Town especially!
- Hilton Sibiu ☆☆☆☆☆ – The best luxury hotel in Sibiu and most frequently booked by gay tourists. The Hilton is internationally renown for its support of LGBT causes, its ‘Go Out’ packages and marketing specifically to the rainbow community. This contemporary and bright location has an indoor pool, three restaurants and a bar – all only a 5-minute drive from the historic center (or a beautiful 30-minute walk). There is also saunas, a steam bath, a gym, and jacuzzi all for guests enjoyment. Since there is no gay hotel in Sibiu, this is the next best thing.
- Ramada Sibiu Hotel ☆☆☆☆ – A modern hotel on the enjoy the historic center of Sibiu. We love the views from the upper-floor rooms, a vibrant bar and included breakfast buffet. A new hotel with high-standards and great prices.
- Goldsmith ☆☆☆ – Funky contemporary decor hidden within the 17th century, this hotel is very gay-popular, and we can see why. Frequently sold out weeks in advance the location is enviable, the service impeccable and the prices surprisingly affordable! There are only four rooms, but each is spacious with hardwood floors, bright colors and enjoy access to an interior terrace.
- Plaza35 Apartments ☆☆☆ – Spacious and modern apartments just an 8-minute walk from the gay bar in Sibiu. Nice terrace, very clean and adjoining sitting rooms so if you’re looking to host or just want your privacy this is the best option.
- Republique ☆☆☆ – A popular upscale hotel which offers modern rooms with a hint of Scandinavian chic. Basically everything you need for a great stay and nothing superfluous. Ticks all the boxes with insanely good reviews.
- Rosen Villa Sibiu ☆☆☆ – A elegant family run hotel that has rave reviews thanks to its handmade decorations, old-world style, and just all-around wow factor. Not the place to bring people home from the clubs but if you are a gay couple traveling this is a romantic retreat in the heart of the old town with beautiful gardens and helpful staff/owners.
- City Stay Hostel ☆☆ – The cheapest bed in Sibiu is at this fun little hostel set in Sibiu’s historic center. Sunny rooms, hardwood floor, and a full kitchen are big drawcards, but we recommend it so you can meet other like-minded travelers and have friends to explore Sibiu with – by day or by night!
Not your style? Want something a bit different? Really want to experience the Sibiu gay scene? Why not take a look at misterbandb – gay alternative to airbnb where you can stay or rent rooms from gay locals in cities all over the world with zero hassles. What better way to know you’re staying gay-friendly! Get 10€ off you first stay right now with one-click sign up!
Gay Bars and Gay Clubs in Sibiu
Honestly – we can’t even believe there is a gay club in Sibiu given its limited nightlife in general. If you’re you’re lucky enough to be in town on a Saturday then you need to go! Otherwise, there are a few popular cocktail spots and cafes where you might bump into other gays, or a high-end nightclub if you are getting desperate to party. Try to meet gay locals during the day around town – or on a dating app – to find out about any one-off parties such as those held by Let’s Have a Kiki (Romania first open-minded circuit party). In general hand-holding or same-sex displays of affection outside of gay bars can lead to trouble anywhere in Romania and should be avoided.
- Delirio – The only gay club in town open every Saturday from 11pn. Recently moved to a new, more modern space and is an off-shoot of their long-running Cluj location. A fun no-attitude environment with friendly people, good music and mixed LGBT people from all over the Sibiu gay community. Check their Facebook page for the weekly events.
- Lili’s – Centrally located romantic cocktail bar with outdoor seating to watch the world go by. A favorite place to meet up and enjoy a quiet conversation. When the gay club in Sibiu is closed, what else are you going to do?
- Puro Wine and Coffee – Upscale wine bar in Sibiu perfect for a sophisticated night out. Gay-popular but better to go for the bottled delights and relaxed ambiance.
- The Box – The best cocktail bar in Sibiu with bartenders who really know what they are doing. With low prices, this is a nice place to spend a few hours with good drinks and company. On the weekends the party gets a little wilder here with a DJ plus young and trendy Romanians.
- Liquid The Club – Ok, so we are pulling at straws here, but if you’re in a mixed group and want a fun, upscale nightclub, this is the place to go. Like a lot of Eastern Europe bars, it’s all about skinny girls shaking their ass for men to part with money, but hey, who are we to judge.
- Jazzy Bar @ Ramada Sibiu – Funky and inviting bar with live entertainment most night of the week. Up-scale and inviting, this is a great neutral ground to meet people from dating, or only to grab a great cocktail!
Gay Saunas in Sibiu
Unlike most European countries, there is no bathhouses or gay saunas in Romania. Probably because of the conservative attitudes in Romania still held today towards the LGBT community – Though you would think a gay sauna in Sibiu would be preferable to outright cruising in public spaces after dark? Anyway, luckily today you can just open your phone and use hookup apps to meet gay guys in Sibiu, or you can head to the clubs and try your luck there.
Gay sauna or not, in any sexual encounter, please take adequate precautions. No matter what your intentions are in Gay Sibiu, you should bring your own condoms and lube to play it safe. Take home a hot guy or a hot memory, not an STD.
Besides, you never know what other fun surprises your trip might have in store for you…